Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter String

George BM

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Going off the WEI (weenie emotion index) I'm thinking we score inside of 10 days or so. Weather is cruel and funny like that. Thoughts of cancelling or punting a month are fresh in the minds of the disappointed. It's a perfect time to strike and also how it usually works. 

Soooooo true!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

11.0" in OCMD per broadcast media. 

What an event. The waves outside sound like thunder when they break. 

I just went out and did a long walk here before dark. There is a ton of snow. Massive drifts. Huge piles. Probably a foot or a bit more fell here. Completely awesome. Deep, deep winter, at the beach. How can you not love THAT!?

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Fx Co schools closed for cold tomorrow. Weak

Wimps. MoCo went 2 hour delay. Not sure what 2 hours solves but at least my kids have to walk both ways up hill in a half inch of snow. I might even take away their jackets just cuz that how WE rolled back in the day. 

9 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

MoCo has a 2 hour delay. Probably eorried about buses breaking down in the cold or something. 

I think most jurisdictions have an unspoken cold criteria. If there is a wind chill advisory, there will be (at least) a delay. 

Eta: if there's no advisory, I think a zero degree air temperature would be a delay too. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Wimps. MoCo went 2 hour delay. Not sure what 2 hours solves but at least my kids have to walk both ways up hill in a half inch of snow. I might even take away their jackets just cuz that how WE rolled back in the day. 

Lol. I was just texting a family member that it's funny there are delays for cold these days because we both remember my first period gym teacher making us go outside every morning during the winter of '77 to play soccer on a rock frozen field. And being the idiot I was, I would go out every day in just those stupid yellow shorts and reversible blue/yellow shirt. 

I just went out and did a long walk here before dark. There is a ton of snow. Massive drifts. Huge piles. Probably a foot or a bit more fell here. Completely awesome. Deep, deep winter, at the beach. How can you not love THAT!?

I tried to see if my dad could get any good measurements, but he said it’s impossible. He’s think anywhere from 14-18” with 3-4’ drifts up the side of the house. He’s literally got 4 doors to exit outside and can only get out of one, the screened in porch. Pretty amazing storm for down there. I enjoyed my snow walk last night when I stepped away from my desk for 20 min, but man I wish I was down there.

Since the topic of closings came up (as it always does), I’m adding one more “huh?”

I don’t remember another time when a pure snow event— so not talking about a switch to ZR—of an inch caused DC and Alexandria public schools to close. Even for the big suburban districts, this event would usually have been a 2-hr delay in past seasons. That makes the Alexandria and DC decision today even more puzzling.

5 hours ago, mappy said:

last year was awful. more so for you than me, but still awful. 

Last year was Teh Worst™, and the less I think about it, the better. 

Although today's storm sucked, I still feel ok about this winter. I had pretty much zero expectation and December ended up being a pleasant surprise. Hopefully our snow hole gets filled sooner or later.

I love this cool refreshing weather with a nice cooling breeze. It was 11 degrees tonight on my jebwalk, with northerly gusts to 37 mph at times. I found a lot of interesting drifts. We only got an inch of snow, but I found foot deep drifts in places. I found broad mounds of snow in parking lots where cars had driven on them, and I have discovered that I LOVE jebwalking on hard dry snow! It makes a delightful sound when walked on! I was blasting lots of music on my headphones that reminds me of snow, and savoring the refreshing Arctic breeze!

Now WE look like some of the fields along Rt 9! We have white fields and places where snow has been piled up, but better than Rt 9, we have drifts from 6 inches to a foot high. I have walked in drifts on the lee side of hills that were 2 feet deep! I stood on the windward side of a parking lot and kicked snow and watched that refreshing Arctic breeze blow the fine dry snow down the lot. It was beautiful!

11 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Since the topic of closings came up (as it always does), I’m adding one more “huh?”

I don’t remember another time when a pure snow event— so not talking about a switch to ZR—of an inch caused DC and Alexandria public schools to close. Even for the big suburban districts, this event would usually have been a 2-hr delay in past seasons. That makes the Alexandria and DC decision today even more puzzling.

I don’t think anyone on here would be surprised to hear me say that I agree with you.

I’ve seen many people claim that some schools hold classes in trailers that don’t have heat, so that’s one strike against having school on cold days. Dafuq? There’s no heat? Where are we...Afghanistan? And even if there’s no heat, then cancel those classes and keep the kids in the gym for that period. Or just use the tax money that we shell out to set up HVAC for those trailers.

Ofhers day that there are kids who don’t have proper winter clothing for really cold days. You know what? I call bulls**t on that excuse. If...IF your kids don’t have a heavy coat, hat, and gloves, then either layer them up or just keep them home. Besides, there are plenty of resources that enable the less fortunate to access clothing such as that. If you choose not to take advantage of it, then that’s your fault - no one else’s.

Finally...working parents need to be responsible for ensuring that they have plans for their kids if school is cancelled, even if it’s cancelled for questionable reasons. There’s no doubt that school cancellations are inconvenient for families who don’t have a stay-at-home parent, but I’m tired of hearing adults complaining about how inconvenienced they are when these decisions are made.

Rant over.

But I’m sure I’ll have more to say about this before the winter is over. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I don’t think anyone on here would be surprised to hear me say that I agree with you.

I’ve seen many people claim that some schools hold classes in trailers that don’t have heat, so that’s one strike against having school on cold days. Dafuq? There’s no heat? Where are we...Afghanistan? And even if there’s no heat, then cancel those classes and keep the kids in the gym for that period. Or just use the tax money that we shell out to set up HVAC for those trailers.

Ofhers day that there are kids who don’t have proper winter clothing for really cold days. You know what? I call bulls**t on that excuse. If...IF your kids don’t have a heavy coat, hat, and gloves, then either layer them up or just keep them home. Besides, there are plenty of resources that enable the less fortunate to access clothing such as that. If you choose not to take advantage of it, then that’s your fault - no one else’s.

Finally...working parents need to be responsible for ensuring that they have plans for their kids if school is cancelled, even if it’s cancelled for questionable reasons. There’s no doubt that school cancellations are inconvenient for families who don’t have a stay-at-home parent, but I’m tired of hearing adults complaining about how inconvenienced they are when these decisions are made.

Rant over.

But I’m sure I’ll have more to say about this before the winter is over. :lol: 

I'm dating a school teacher right now...your head would explode lol

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I don’t remember HoCo delaying for cold in previous years, even with the PErlerVertex, so this is new. Certainly didn’t need to close yesterday either. They might regret that when PD3 hits next month.

I'm pretty sure Fairfax County had a delayed opening a few times during that stretch, but I don't particularly recall there being actual closings.

I think Fairfax is ready for PD3 since they built in something crazy like 13 snow days (@yoda may know more about it). And some of the Insane Mom Posse in my neighborhood are saying that they have to use a certain number of snow days in order to request the same number of days in the future...or something weird like that.

33 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I don’t remember HoCo delaying for cold in previous years, even with the PErlerVertex, so this is new. Certainly didn’t need to close yesterday either. They might regret that when PD3 hits next month.

Maryland has eliminated snow days. Yesterday's day off in HoCo will be made up on presidents day.

32 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I'm pretty sure Fairfax County had a delayed opening a few times during that stretch, but I don't particularly recall there being actual closings.

I think Fairfax is ready for PD3 since they built in something crazy like 13 snow days (@yoda may know more about it). And some of the Insane Mom Posse in my neighborhood are saying that they have to use a certain number of snow days in order to request the same number of days in the future...or something weird like that.

I am not sure what the current 'rule' is for exemptions/early starts in VA but in the 'olden' days you had to have an average of 10 missed days per year over a 3 running years period due to weather to request the early start/build in snow days thing.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived