Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

5 measureable events, 5.4 inches for me, so far this season. My own personal preference, but that does NOT cut it for acceptable. It's better than shut out, I guess, but it is far from my ideal. I would take 5.4 in one warning level event 10 times out of 10 over 5 events to get to 5.4 inches.

Again, to each their own, I am sure.

I’d love warning level events multiple times per winter too, but it doesn’t usually happen for us. Especially in Nina years they can be hard to come by. We’re just entering our peak climo and have a solid 8-9 weeks left when we can reasonably expect something big. Maybe we get skunked the whole way, but I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

14/15 was a cold enso year. We didn't get jack squat until Feb 14th. That year was a complete and utter disaster. People HATED the first 10 weeks. 10 weeks of agony. Then the dam broke and it's now a fondly remembered winter. But only if you start your memory on Feb 14th. If you include the previous 10 weeks the landscape changes. 90% of the people here wrote off 14/15 and couldn't wait for it to end. In the end 100% of the people enjoyed 6 weeks of winter wx. Do I think this year will suck until mid Feb and then go off the rails? I'd say it probably won't but I won't write off anything until we're well into Feb and guidance is clear that we're in a shutout. Until then it's business as usual in the MA.  

I was honestly annoyed by that winter. That 6-week period was pretty awesome, but by the last couple weeks I just wanted it to be spring. We were looking at continued cool/cold weather when we're usually looking forward to real signs of spring, and it got me down...especially after the same thing happened the year prior.

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’d love warning level events multiple times per winter too, but it doesn’t usually happen for us. Especially in Nina years they can be hard to come by. We’re just entering our peak climo and have a solid 8-9 weeks left when we can reasonably expect something big. Maybe we get skunked the whole way, but I doubt it. 

Not a particularly good pattern coming up before we warm for a stretch but it's the kind that could sneak in a warning level event if it breaks right. But at the same time it's the kind where the snow starts melting the day after it falls so if we actually got lucky with a decent event the boo birds will jump right and complain about the melting. lol

20 minutes ago, Ltrain said:

I'll admit that looking at footage on TWC from Boston and New York stings, I still love seeing snow like that.  I have family in southeast NH so I want them to do well, even though they get enough snow. 

This is a hideous screwjob for us and almost as bad as December 2010, except for the fact that nobody was forecasting 6-12” the day before. Everyone this time knew we’d be getting fringed.

But seeing the Carolinas, Delmarva, and of course the 40N cities get smashed while we get a dusting and continue wasting this cold, is painful to watch. This isn’t even about climo either since those places to the south and east average less than us.

13 minutes ago, Fozz said:

This is a hideous screwjob for us and almost as bad as December 2010, except for the fact that nobody was forecasting 6-12” the day before. Everyone this time knew we’d be getting fringed.

But seeing the Carolinas, Delmarva, and of course the 40N cities get smashed while we get a dusting and continue wasting this cold, is painful to watch. This isn’t even about climo either since those places to the south and east average less than us.

I know, I understand the frustration.  Hopefully we get a decent 6"+ event sometime before Winter is over.  

59 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

D.C definitely got shafted pretty much, but areas east like where i live there's half a foot  of snow. Exactly half a foot with another half inch to an inch expected.

There are white out conditions even in light snow right now. Ground blizzard.

Congrats dude, but why were you posting OBS in the New England forum? 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

It was a year of ups and downs before finding itself. The late Nov storm got us all thinking it would be great again...and then all of December wasted. lol. The 3 events in Jan kept us out of the coffin but it was pretty bleak at the end of Jan. 3 events and under 10" total for pretty much everyone and guidance was a disaster. Some of the misses in Jan and early Feb were hard to swallow. Legit teases while up north couldn't stop snowing. By the first week of Feb people were cancelling left and right but that arctic front started showing up and kept us (at least some of us) interested.  Then a 6 week period came in like a lion and it was awesome. 

Last year of course was pretty much the epitome of a disaster. Scorching December, limited chances, and little if any hope ever showed up. This year has already exceeded all of last year by many metrics. 

last year was awful. more so for you than me, but still awful. 

5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i don't think we got shafted from this storm.  if anything, we got luck it was so strong because any other system taking that type of path probably would have yielded nothing here.

It was the storm that was the problem.  It was the kicker... that kicked it due east before it could make it up to our Latitude

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

If winter ended today, the winter snowfall map for the eastern half of the country would be pretty funny.  More snow south, west, north, and east of the DC/Baltimore metros.  What a fun storm to track though...and the pictures from CAPE and Reaper CEO have been amazing.

It was a super fun storm to track. Too bad it couldn't have worked out to be a nice event for more of the subforum, but I guess that rarely happens. Happy for the far eastern folks, who miss out plenty while most other areas get hammered. Mby has done ok this winter, but I sort of get lumped in with the coastal folks, and they have done far better than me so far (esp wrt to climo). My location/climo is quite different from coastal DE. The "eastern shore" to some people means the beach lol. I am quite content so far though- pretty sure I ended up with about 5" imby(I will verify later) but no way I was staying home for that when a 1 hour drive got me to a 1 foot legit blizzard with impressive drifts. Great chase. I hope to get some better(more artistic) shots tomorrow morning before I head home.

It was a super fun storm to track. Too bad it couldn't have worked out to be a nice event for more of the subforum, but I guess that rarely happens. Happy for the far eastern folks, who miss out plenty while most other areas get hammered. Mby has done ok this winter, but I sort of get lumped in with the coastal folks, and they have done far better than me so far (esp wrt to climo). My location/climo is quite different from coastal DE. The "eastern shore" to some people means the beach lol. I am quite content so far though- pretty sure I ended up with about 5" imby(I will verify later) but no way I was staying home for that when a 1 hour drive got me to a 1 foot legit blizzard with impressive drifts. Great chase. I hope to get some better(more artistic) shots tomorrow morning before I head home.

Yeah I’m honestly happy at least a portion of our sub forum was able to score with this so the MA wasn’t completely shut out.

You definitely made the right call chasing a blizzard an hour away. I want snowy sand artistic pictures! ;)

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived