Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

3 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Cuz there isn't really a significant ice storm headed for the mtns and foothills.  Very narrow band of winners with this one.  But rapid melting and liquid refreshments for most.

I know but there is a pretty good amt of real estate covered in warnings or WWA.  Just figured there would be more interest on here.  So be it.

3 minutes ago, CentralNC said:

I know but there is a pretty good amt of real estate covered in warnings or WWA.  Just figured there would be more interest on here.  So be it.

I think normally this would be a blowout event for the region but the CAD is minimal for most of NC (low DPs are hung up in VA with only the border counties in NC looking good).  I think we will see a mix even here in the central triad overnight but nothing to show for it.  Even at my mountain house in Patrick county there is an elevation dependent WSW.  Over 2500' looking for up to 2" of sleet.  Under 2500' likely a mix with little to no accums.  This will be a "close but no cigar" event for 99% of this board in NC.  

The radar looks ominous though for ongoing flooding.  We need a major break next week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I think normally this would be a blowout event for the region but the CAD is minimal for most of NC (low DPs are hung up in VA with only the border counties in NC looking good).  I think we will see a mix even here in the central triad overnight but nothing to show for it.  Even at my mountain house in Patrick county there is an elevation dependent WSW.  Over 2500' looking for up to 2" of sleet.  Under 2500' likely a mix with little to no accums.  This will be a "close but no cigar" event for 99% of this board in NC.  

The radar looks ominous though for ongoing flooding.  We need a major break next week.

This is almost as good as it get with cad pretty strong textbook setup its just November. I think sleet could possibly surprise and beat some expectations.

18 minutes ago, Solak said:

Fake news???

Patrick Rockey WTKRVerified account @PatrickRockey 6m6 minutes ago

#SNOW COVER: Here's a look at how much snow is covering the lower 48. Check Radar: http://bit.do/radar3  #FirstWarn3

I am looking out the window and still not seeing my 16 plus inches of snow but I'll keep looking, maybe its under the leaves.

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2018 at 9:43 AM, McDowell_Weather said:

Any good weather stations for under a $100 bucks? Appreciate any input.

I wanted chime in here, I'm getting a new station. I did a lot of research on these and its hard to get much below $100, but I found one I'm going to try. I had an Accurite 3 in 1 which was about $80. I loved the display, but after about a year and a half the outside unit stopped sending. I called and was told I'd have to purchase another one. After researching, this seems to be a very common issue with the Accurites.

This time I looked at units under $200 and the Ambient 2902a gets great reviews everywhere. https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WiFi-Station/dp/B01N5TEHLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542301144&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ambient+weather+ws-2902a

This is a 5 in 1with all the features, including internet access and a wunderground site. I decided I probably wont do all that so they also have a ws-1900 for half the price. All the same hardware but without the internet software. 

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1900.html

So I can't speak first hand on this one, but this is the one I'm going with for the under 100 range.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2018 at 12:06 PM, Iceagewhereartthou said:

I wanted chime in here, I'm getting a new station. I did a lot of research on these and its hard to get much below $100, but I found one I'm going to try. I had an Accurite 3 in 1 which was about $80. I loved the display, but after about a year and a half the outside unit stopped sending. I called and was told I'd have to purchase another one. After researching, this seems to be a very common issue with the Accurites.

This time I looked at units under $200 and the Ambient 2902a gets great reviews everywhere. https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WiFi-Station/dp/B01N5TEHLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542301144&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ambient+weather+ws-2902a

This is a 5 in 1with all the features, including internet access and a wunderground site. I decided I probably wont do all that so they also have a ws-1900 for half the price. All the same hardware but without the internet software. 

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1900.html

So I can't speak first hand on this one, but this is the one I'm going with for the under 100 range.

Thanks man i appreciate the input.

1 hour ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

Is he still as enthusiastic about winter as he was a few weeks back?

Yes, But he's has said all along that he expected a mid December warm-up, But he did not expect what the EURO weeklies showed. Has pause for concern, but he still feels late December or first of January COLD comes right back.........  Bottom line he has no changes to over all winter forecast, But his December may bust and have to makes a few changes to it if EURO is right, and it's possible he says!!! Should find out next few days what tweaks he may do. 

• Like 1

• jburns pinned this topic
  • jburns unpinned this topic