Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

45 minutes ago, JacobNC said:

I think the first three weeks of this year was the best weather I've ever seen living in NC. Great snow and cold, never seen the lakes frozen so hard.

I want to move up north for uninterrupted subfreezing temps hehe.

Want to trade? We're moving from northern IL to the Chapel Hill area so that we can get away from the uninterrupted subfreezing temps.

17 minutes ago, DaveNay said:

Want to trade? We're moving from northern IL to the Chapel Hill area so that we can get away from the uninterrupted subfreezing temps.

Welcome to the area. You'll like it here if you're a weather enthusiast. I personally think we have a great climate. It's possible to have a hurricane and a blizzard in the same year. Not many places can say that. This area is the Masen Dixon line of weather.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Welcome to the area. You'll like it here if you're a weather enthusiast. I personally think we have a great climate. It's possible to have a hurricane and a blizzard in the same year. Not many places can say that. This area is the Masen Dixon line of weather.  

Yeah, we consciously chose someplace that still has four seasons, just not the death cold of the last decade in the northern midwest.

2 minutes ago, DaveNay said:

Yeah, we consciously chose someplace that still has four seasons, just not the death cold of the last decade in the northern midwest.

Getting into the micro-climate of the Triangle, you're (Chapel Hill) on the cold side of the "line". Many times winter storms feature a transition zone right through this area. This has been particularly present during the last three years; whereas folks north and west of Raleigh have had some great storms, and folks to the south and east have not faired as well. This is not always the case. There have been big winter storms to affect the eastern portion of the state. I think we are well over due for one of these storms. 

2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Getting into the micro-climate of the Triangle, you're (Chapel Hill) on the cold side of the "line". Many times winter storms feature a transition zone right through this area. This has been particularly present during the last three years; whereas folks north and west of Raleigh have had some great storms, and folks to the south and east have not faired as well. This is not always the case. There have been big winter storms to affect the eastern portion of the state. I think we are well over due for one of these storms. 

I'm still unsure how to interpret statements such as "cold" in the Triangle. Cold to me is 7-10 days of zero degrees F with night time lows in the minus teens or even twenties.

I suspect the cold you are talking about will feel like spring or autumn to me for the first two or three years after we move.

39 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

What line is that?

7 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Notre Dame was such a farce. Nice work by Clemson. Let's expand this thing to eight teams soon. Give UCF a chance too. I guess we'll see how good they are when they match up against LSU on Tuesday.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

I had Dame vs Bama... I'm pissed off...

13 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Notre Dame was such a farce. Nice work by Clemson. Let's expand this thing to eight teams soon. Give UCF a chance too. I guess we'll see how good they are when they match up against LSU on Tuesday.

Needs to be an 8 team playoff. Notre Dame looked good coming in, but when you look at their schedule, most of it was crap, them getting blown out did not surprise me one bit. I still believe Georgia should've been in besides OU, and yes, give UCF a freakin chance.

23 hours ago, calculus1 said:

I don't think adding teams is a viable option. If you think yesterday's games were a farce how about Bama vs #8, Clemson vs  #7.  The other two first week matchups 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5 might be ok games but everyone knows Bama and Clemson await. And we would still have to go through the two games we went through yesterday before we get to the big one. I'd be careful what I wish for. :)

I don't think adding teams is a viable option. If you think yesterday's games were a farce how about Bama vs #8, Clemson vs  #7.  The other two first week matchups 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5 might be ok games but everyone knows Bama and Clemson await. And we would still have to go through the two games we went through yesterday before we get to the big one. I'd be careful what I wish for.
Yeah, but if ND gets a shot because they are undefeated, then so should UCF. ND's schedule was not significantly more difficult than was UCF's. Also, Georgia and Ohio State would have been included. Georgia already showed they can hang with Alabama. I think OSU and all Big Ten teams are rather weak, but let em play it out in a tournament rather than having some dudes sitting around a table decide who gets in and who gets out. We would still debate snubs even with eight teams in, but I am less sympathetic to any school's complaints if they didn't finish undefeated.