Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

13 hours ago, FallsLake said:

We're definitely also in different times. The solar minimum is very low and we may not be able to use analogs; unless we go back to the little ice age :) 

Some of those years in the 70s we're really cold. I lived in Florida (dad Air Force) and remember the cold snaps along with the news of snow in Orlando. 

Yep.

xlarge.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Remember Sandy!?? And that dumpster fire of a winter! And the Nov 1st CAE mauler!? Another dumpster fire

Yeah, I remember many years where we get storms in late October or early November that didn't turn out well. The reason I remember is because everybody get hyped up saying this is going to be a great year; but then the pattern turns bad in late November and stays that way for the majority of the winter. But I'm sure somebody with stats will tell us not to worry.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Not sure if this is considered Banter or Long Term...

But with Eurasia (Siberian) snowfall finally getting its act together and record breaking Canada snow cover, thoughts on colder winter here?

Well looking at the long term forecast ; seems as though the next ice age (or return of the current one) may be put off to 25,000 to 50,000 years due to earth being in an extended period of lower eccentricity orbit which occurs every 400,000 years.  However, in about 10,000 years the northern hemisphere winter will occur when the earth is most distant from the sun combined with a lower obliquity period for the earth's rotational axis; so we got that going for us.  Lookout for big time snow in the Greenville-Spartanburg area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

Yeah, I remember many years where we get storms in late October or early November that didn't turn out well. The reason I remember is because everybody get hyped up saying this is going to be a great year; but then the pattern turns bad in late November and stays that way for the majority of the winter. But I'm sure somebody with stats will tell us not to worry.  

Fortunately, we don't have anything to worry about this year.  All I see is an El Nino-looking pattern with several fronts and some Gulf waves traversing the area.  The 0z GFS did have a Lakes Cutter, but I don't think that qualifies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Fortunately, we don't have anything to worry about this year.  All I see is an El Nino-looking pattern with several fronts and some Gulf waves traversing the area.  The 0z GFS did have a Lakes Cutter, but I don't think that qualifies.

The 2500hr Lithuanian model looks awesome for Raleigh. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Drive around town and look to see who's packing up and moving out. That will most likely be your winner. Most lottery winners end up moving due to the risks of staying at their current residence.

I’ve heard they worked at a Manufacturing plant, not far from the store and they called in and quit work this morning. That store is like 2 miles or less from my house! 

• jburns pinned this topic
  • jburns unpinned this topic