Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

9 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

So this storm is over right?

I know, I know. The river flooding effects will still be felt later this week. But I'm talking about the actual friggin' storm itself. It's out of here????

I'm going to wake up tomorrow, and there won't be any wind or rain. It will be just a normal day in September?

Yep

4 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

I'm pretty sure the site was down so long that we missed fall and our early winter storms.  Time for the spring 2019 forecast.  

Seriously, is there an explanation posted somewhere.  Did the site get hacked or was it server issues?

This is a screenshot of the email I received from them today

AmWxOutage Sept2018.PNG

It was a pain as for a good bit of time I was at the mercy of waiting for people to give me info to access certain software to update the IP.  I was caught off guard in the first place as I never received emails from them that they were going to do the migration.  At least it happened after the storm.  And at least it's done.. been putting off moving off the old server... Been on it since 2011 and was dreadfully outdated.  Most software was at end of life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Yeah, I was thinking that this was going to be another Easternwx shutdown.

**Easternwx was a site many of us where on before Americanwx.  

I remember after the last lengthy shutdown, Wow or Randy said something about the age of the servers and the need to move them.

Looks like the model center is still a work in progress though.

9 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

I remember after the last lengthy shutdown, Wow or Randy said something about the age of the servers and the need to move them.

I forgot how I learned about Americanwx. If memory is right, they brought the site back up (locked) and had a message. Or it might have been another site like Accuweather. 

• 2 weeks later...

The headline is a bit misleading since it is the schools themselves that caused the refusal.  However, the result is the same.

NCAA says no to South Carolina-North Carolina basketball exhibition for hurricane relief https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ncaa-says-no-to-south-carolina-north-carolina-basketball-exhibition/article_e92e4d16-c8d6-11e8-99a1-a33c60585114.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share 

Schools are allowed two exhibition games per season, a public one and a “secret” scrimmage in a closed gym with no reports and no statistics released to the public. Coaches aren’t even supposed to acknowledge the “secret” scrimmage’s presence.

If schools desire, though, they can use the second as an exhibition game for charity. 

Neither USC nor UNC wanted to give up what they already had but wanted to add a third game. The NCAA turned down the request for a third game. 

Was enjoying a nice Pernicious IPA on King Street at the Boone Saloon today...went to the restroom...came back took a big pull on my cold brew and a darn old yellow jacket was in there...by the time I could get it out of my mouth it stung me all in my gums and my upper lip...6.5 hours later my upper jaw and lip are burning...any advice here to get the sting away???

38 minutes ago, WeatherHawk said:

Was enjoying a nice Pernicious IPA on King Street at the Boone Saloon today...went to the restroom...came back took a big pull on my cold brew and a darn old yellow jacket was in there...by the time I could get it out of my mouth it stung me all in my gums and my upper lip...6.5 hours later my upper jaw and lip are burning...any advice here to get the sting away???

Probably a wicked weed sour. 

20 hours ago, WeatherHawk said:

Recommend a doctor. Dr. Daniels.  Dr. Jack Daniels.

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2018 at 9:24 PM, WeatherHawk said:

That's awful! I've heard of that happening to golfers. Actually, once when I was on the course I had a canned Sprite. Came back and took a sip, as soon as I took it away from my mouth a yellow jacket flew out. I was thanking my lucky stars on that one. 

So the kids here were suppose to have a half day Thur and all day Friday off but they were changed to make up days for the days missed for Flo.....now with that track/intensity there is a pretty good chance they will cancel school Thurs.....and then depending on how much wind actually happens they might have Friday off too....

I know IMBY posts are frowned upon. I am confused though after reading the last page on Michael. Some posters say  for NC the NW side of the storm will have a tornado threat, which goes against what I thought I knew about being NW of the center. I was happy to be in the NW portion, Rockingham County, until I read those posts. Another post says the worst weather will be east of the central piedmont. Is there reason to discount the NAM? What’s the general consensus? I wasn’t too worried, just expecting rain and maybe some wind. Now I’m wondering if I was too hopeful. And yes, if you can’t figure it out, I’m terrified of tornadoes.

8 minutes ago, landof2rivers said:

I know IMBY posts are frowned upon. I am confused though after reading the last page on Michael. Some posters say  for NC the NW side of the storm will have a tornado threat, which goes against what I thought I knew about being NW of the center. I was happy to be in the NW portion, Rockingham County, until I read those posts. Another post says the worst weather will be east of the central piedmont. Is there reason to discount the NAM? What’s the general consensus? I wasn’t too worried, just expecting rain and maybe some wind. Now I’m wondering if I was too hopeful. And yes, if you can’t figure it out, I’m terrified of tornadoes.

Downeast had a great post in the storm thread that answers your questions.

• jburns pinned this topic
  • jburns unpinned this topic