Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

2 hours ago, GoAPPS said:

My entire extended family are Wilmington natives. A lot of them are trying to "ride it out," including my 83-year-old grandfather. He lives about five miles inland from Wrightsville Beach. My brother and I are really stressed out trying to figure out a way to convince him to evacuate. Should we care this much whether he evacuates? He has a small, but fairly sturdy house in a neighborhood where most of the big trees have already been felled by previous hurricanes (Fran, Bertha, Floyd). On looking at the projections, it seems that Florence will weaken quite a bit before landfall. If I'm misreading that, let me know, but he says he's lived through strong hurricanes before (see above). He's not particularly stubborn, just feeling the inertia to stay. Any thoughts?

Show him a pic like this one. It uses the Euro data for this depiction at 8am Friday morning. Ask if he really wants to be in 114mph winds Friday morning. He should evacuate, especially at that age.

Screenshot from 2018-09-11 23-36-56.png

20 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

From speaking with family/friends, it sounds like it’s prepmaggeddon up there in the Triad, and if the southward trend continues it’s going to be all for naught, most likely (not that it likely would have been worse than tropical storm force winds in the worst case scenario, anyways).  If such winds do develop, I’d expect tree damage and power outages, but hopefully the ice storms a few years ago already took down a lot of the “low hanging fruit”.  It seemed that flooding was the biggest threat there, but I would imagine a further south track will limit that.

I prepped early, but didn’t have to do much because I keep a few things on hand 24/7/365 just as a precaution.  Maybe I can burn through some of this stuff during a huge winter storm this coming season.  :snowing:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Also really hoping somehow most can avoid what looks to be major flood damage. Keeping my fingers crossed. Stay safe everyone and if you have to evacuate to Europe...let me know. 

Thanks Burger! Somebody is going to get the storm, we're just trying to figure out who. Right now Wilmington is under the gun for winds/storm surge; along with at least the northern coast (Myrtle Beach) of SC. Then how the storm tracks will tell who gets in on the excessive flooding.  

6 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Thanks Burger! Somebody is going to get the storm, we're just trying to figure out who. Right now Wilmington is under the gun for winds/storm surge; along with at least the northern coast (Myrtle Beach) of SC. Then how the storm tracks will tell who gets in on the excessive flooding.  

Yea I've kind of loosely been keeping up with the storm. Funny enough this morning I was picking up some pants from the seamstress in my neighborhood and she had the radio on and I could hear in Dutch they were talking about South Carolina....so at least over hear everyone is watching as well. Which is pretty cool cause literally almost no one knows where North or South Carolina is. 

10 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Yea I've kind of loosely been keeping up with the storm. Funny enough this morning I was picking up some pants from the seamstress in my neighborhood and she had the radio on and I could hear in Dutch they were talking about South Carolina....so at least over hear everyone is watching as well. Which is pretty cool cause literally almost no one knows where North or South Carolina is. 

The sad thing is if you gave a geography quiz to random folks in N/S Carolina, most probably wouldn't know where Amsterdam is as well.....or Europe as a whole, or Canada... 

2 hours ago, landof2rivers said:

Solak posted a link for NWS Raleigh latest briefing with graphics. Does RNK have this? I didn’t see it when I looked earlier. 

Many times RDU posters have shared this type of link and I would like to know how to access the RNK site if they put out these briefings for our area.

https://www.weather.gov/rnk/emer_severe

I still for the life of me don’t understand why people are hugging certain models. Or saying they don’t agree with one model.. ect. Especially N.C. peeps. Model consensus agrees that pretty much all of the state is going to see significant impacts from Florence. That ridge is why this storm isn’t going NE and instead going W or WSW-SW. I hope that everyone on the coast evacuated so we can spare lives. To everyone else who takes the time to offer insight and explain everything, it’s greatly appreciated.

So for the 1st time, RAH is able to issue Tropical forecast products.

You know those overhead signs on interstates that warn you of Amber alerts or traffic delays up ahead? In the winter, they often say if we're under a Winter Storm Warning or not. Well today my friends, the one I saw on 540 said "Tropical Storm Warning in effect". I've never lived in a place that was under one of THOSE, and I unexpectantly felt a rush of weather geek giddiness as a result.

On another note, I finally went to the local Harris Teeter to get supplies. Every place in the Triangle was ransacked by Tues night. Luckily, my store (and I expect others in the area) had a fresh new supply of bread, deli meats, chips, milk, etc. Some supplies were noticeably gone (especially water), but I was surprised at how much they did have.

I estimate about half of the gas stations around here don't have gas. (or half do have gas--depending on how you look at things) But that is much better than the last two days where I saw lines that would back up and cause some slight traffic jams. I actually filled my tank up on Sunday night thinking the gas CRAZINESS would happen later in the week. I was right that it would happen, but was surprised that the gas lines started on Mon/Tues. I give myself points for being proactive on filling the gas tank on Sunday, but deduct points for not getting supplies on the same day. I got lucky that my local HT got resupplied before the storm hit.

Work is closed tomorrow, but I gots to remote in. (at least until I lose power)

Anybody feel like we've been tracking this storm for months???

1 hour ago, gman said:

Someone just posted on the other topic about the EURO being the worse model so far. Why are so many fixated at which computer model was right? At this point in time, isn't what is happening right now more important? 

I just posted because it's a discussion elsewhere by some of the Mets, but I never really understood why people get so fixated on it even in the short range, when it's a long range model. Seems like many just take these maps verbatim that the Euro spits out as gospel, even some Mets. 

End result of listening to Charlie Daniels while riding out the storm (and before anyone quotes me, I know the report of the moron shooting into the storm and dying was proven false)

-Florence came to the Carolinas looking for waves to sail
But she got in a mood and decided instead that she was going to raise some hell
Weathermen watched in horror as she came in high and hot
She smirked and smiled before saying “fellas I’ll tell ya what”

“I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a Category 2
Ain't no comparin’ cause I'm going to do something weird and new
All your records mean nothing as long as I'm in town
Now prepare and hunker down because I'm the baddest girl around”

Florence compact your core and take a chosen path
So we can warn everyone who's gonna face your wrath
Quit making us guess with each and every flight
Or people are going to lose their lives tonight!

“Nice try,” Florence said, slowing as she neared the shore.
“But I'm going to make forecasting me quite the aggravating chore.
Now sit back and watch as I wind myself up nice and tight,
Cause you're about to lose this fight!”

Florence please listen as we all pray and plead,
Go easy on us so no more bodies have to bleed.
Forgive the moron who tried to shoot you down,
For his body is now underground!

“I love it here!” Florence squealed, relaxing as she spread herself out.
“I'm going to stay awhile even with your angry shouts.
Spread the good news since I am nice and large,
For you're about to learn that the weather is in charge!”

Go away, no Florence no!

We don't want to go with the flo

Turn around and go back out to sea!

So we’ll be safe and free!-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orangeburgwx said:

End result of listening to Charlie Daniels while riding out the storm (and before anyone quotes me, I know the report of the moron shooting into the storm and dying was proven false)

That was your mistake. You don't ride out a storm listening to Charlie Daniels. You ride it out drinking Jack Daniels.

• Haha 3

On 9/14/2018 at 6:39 PM, Orangeburgwx said:

-Florence came to the Carolinas looking for waves to sail
But she got in a mood and decided instead that she was going to raise some hell
Weathermen watched in horror as she came in high and hot
She smirked and smiled before saying “fellas I’ll tell ya what”

“I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a Category 2
Ain't no comparin’ cause I'm going to do something weird and new
All your records mean nothing as long as I'm in town
Now prepare and hunker down because I'm the baddest girl around”

Florence compact your core and take a chosen path
So we can warn everyone who's gonna face your wrath
Quit making us guess with each and every flight
Or people are going to lose their lives tonight!

“Nice try,” Florence said, slowing as she neared the shore.
“But I'm going to make forecasting me quite the aggravating chore.
Now sit back and watch as I wind myself up nice and tight,
Cause you're about to lose this fight!”

Florence please listen as we all pray and plead,
Go easy on us so no more bodies have to bleed.
Forgive the moron who tried to shoot you down,
For his body is now underground!

“I love it here!” Florence squealed, relaxing as she spread herself out.
“I'm going to stay awhile even with your angry shouts.
Spread the good news since I am nice and large,
For you're about to learn that the weather is in charge!”

Go away, no Florence no!

We don't want to go with the flo

Turn around and go back out to sea!

So we’ll be safe and free!-

Good stuff!!! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• jburns pinned this topic
  • jburns unpinned this topic