Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

16 hours ago, jburns said:

So-so. Had a rough week last week. Boarded our dogs at the vet for a week a the beach and they lost my wife's little Chihuahua. Then they didn't notify us for 24 hours.  Using Facebook my daughters knew in 1 hour where he had been the night before. He was last seen going down the ramp to I85. A few minutes later my eldest daughter, who had stayed home, got a call telling her the 5lb dog was on the center island of I85.  She raced over there and sure enough there he was. When she stopped the car and got out and called him he freaked out and ran onto the highway and was killed right in front of her. They fired the kid that lost him but the vet made the decision not to notify us until the next day. IMO that is what killed him. We would have gotten him easily the day before from all the sightings reported on Facebook. He was killed about 2 miles from the Vet and quarter mile from our house.

orig.png

We at Archdale Animal Clinic are all devastated by the loss of Gizmo while he was boarding. We know the loss of this beloved pet is a tragedy to the family and we extend to them our deepest condolences. We take the care and safety of the pets we treat at Archdale Animal Clinic to heart. We know we failed in this case when Gizmo escaped and was killed. The person responsible is no longer employed here. Our hearts break with theirs - The Burns family has been a part of our family for many years. We thank all the people who provided tips and helped search for him.

I would sue

Since when is 90-92 degree temps considered a "scorcher" and "oppressive" in summertime NC? Basically if it's around 90 for 3 months it's NORMAL.But if you watch local news it's the name stuff over and over and over every evening telling you you're gonna roast if you go out.It's really obvious who's lived here for any amount of time and who hasn't,some people still think they're in Cleveland I think.

If and when I see temps 97-104 for a week or two then we can talk but this stuff is way over the top,rainfall definitely hasn't been a problem we all know that.

Anyway I'm done ranting.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2018 at 4:05 PM, jburns said:

I'll be taking some action but NC law is not pet-friendly. Treated as property only. Replacement value only.

Thanks for the good wishes guys. We appreciate it. It's amazing how attached you get.

Im sorry to hear about your family’s loss. It’s sad to lose a loved one especially when it was a sudden loss. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello SE Board. Fellow Long Islander (which I lived here all of my life) , will be making a permanent move down to Salisbury NC mid October. For a person that loves snow, but also loves warm weather, I am both looking forward to the warmer climate, but not looking forward to winters where I consider anything less than 25" per year a dud. We've had some good snow storms over the past 10 years. Also, I'm very accustomed to being 1.5 miles north of the ocean with my summers being really nice- albeit Humid this summer due to the persistent WAR and above average SSTs 

2018-08-05 15.50.40.jpg

5 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

Hello SE Board. Fellow Long Islander (which I lived here all of my life) , will be making a permanent move down to Salisbury NC mid October. For a person that loves snow, but also loves warm weather, I am both looking forward to the warmer climate, but not looking forward to winters where I consider anything less than 25" per year a dud. We've had some good snow storms over the past 10 years. Also, I'm very accustomed to being 1.5 miles north of the ocean with my summers being really nice- albeit Humid this summer due to the persistent WAR and above average SSTs 

2018-08-05 15.50.40.jpg

It will be different. Don't worry about the snow though.  Salisbury, NC averages 40".

Per decade.  :)

1 hour ago, Fantom X said:

ugh. we've had (2) winters under 10" here since 2000: 2001-2002 and 2011-2012; should be interesting when I move down there

The one thing that makes life tolerable for winter weather lovers (in the piedmont of NC) is the fact that we can get a big winter storm. We lose out more times than we score, but every now and then we get the big storm. We've seen 2 foot snows, 1.5" ice, and 8" of sleet in years past. So you can keep your weather hobby, just drop your expectations down a little.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Fantom X said:

2018-08-05 15.50.40.jpg

I’m sorry to hear about this! Salisbury! :(

My wife works with a lot of yankees and granola types in her office due to a corporate merger.  Lots of people from New York and California.  They all live in Greensboro now and none of them are taking Florence seriously.  One guy told her, “Being 170 miles inland protects us from everything except some rain.  It’ll die out at the coast.  No wind or flooding.”

Damn know-it-alls.  Get back to us in a week.

• jburns pinned this topic
  • jburns unpinned this topic