Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

1 hour ago, frazdaddy said:

Same ,lots of flowers. Roses, Peonies and Hibiscus are the stars this year. We invested in a large Weeping Blue Atlas Ceder (8 ft). Going to try my hand at shaping it.  

Blue Atlas cedar is a very choice shrub/tree!! Nice work. I rarely see them in gardens / beds around here, but they look Great

1 hour ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Changing topic...

GFS went off it's rocker at 12z with an absolutely insane 960mb Katrina redux hitting NoLA

Off it's rocker is no less than 110% correct ... No way a named storm forms given dynamics ... IMHO   :drunk:

7 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Same ,lots of flowers. Roses, Peonies and Hibiscus are the stars this year. We invested in a large Weeping Blue Atlas Ceder (8 ft). Going to try my hand at shaping it.  

Here are a few suggestions.

large.jpglarge.jpglarge.jpg

• Haha 2

Traveling to St. Peach next week so I wanted to read a detailed forecast discussion from the local NWS. This is all I got. 

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Tampa Bay Ruskin FL
904 AM EDT Fri Jun 15 2018

.FOR THE MORNING UPDATE...
High pressure will hold over the Florida peninsula today
with weak onshore boundary layer flow. Sea breeze boundary
will push inland during the late morning/early afternoon
with scattered showers and thunderstorms developing over the
coastal counties...with showers/thunderstorms pushing
inland and increasing in areal coverage during the mid to
late afternoon. Given the weak boundary layer flow, a few
outflow boundaries may push back toward the coast during the
late afternoon/early evening with a continued chance of
showers/thunderstorms across the region. Best chance of rain
will be south of the I-4 corridor across the interior
peninsula. Shower and thunderstorm activity will gradually
dissipate during the evening hours with skies becoming
partly cloudy over west central and southwest Florida after
midnight.

My point with this post? Too often I take for granted the talented folks at GSP NWS. I want to take the time to thank them for their thoroughness in keeping us updated several times a day with detailed information. They are the best in the business. 

• Like 1

Happy Summer Solstice everybody! We hit that at 6:07 this morning.

Days will slowly start to get shorter from this point forward; but the average temps will continue to climb for another month. **the "oven" temp continues to increase even though the dial is now being slowly turned down. ***you got to get to, and past, equilibrium.       

• Thanks 1

The Dog Days of summer:

The dog days or dog days of summer are the hot, sultry days of summer. They were historically the period following the heliacal rising of the star Sirius, which Greek and Roman astrology connected with heat, drought, sudden thunderstorms, lethargy, fever, mad dogs, and bad luck. They are now taken to be the hottest, most uncomfortable part of summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

7 hours ago, FallsLake said:

The Dog Days of summer:

The dog days or dog days of summer are the hot, sultry days of summer. They were historically the period following the heliacal rising of the star Sirius, which Greek and Roman astrology connected with heat, drought, sudden thunderstorms, lethargy, fever, mad dogs, and bad luck. They are now taken to be the hottest, most uncomfortable part of summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

So, May 15 to Oct. 1.

Humid today in Shenandoah National Park. Hiked Old Rag Mountain with the family. I think that's the most technically challenging hike I've ever done. There's this crazy rock scramble to get to the top, climbing over boulders, through crevasses, and hoping you don't slip in a few places. My kids did it too, with quite a bit of help. 10 miles, 2500-ft elevation gain, and the technical challenge made for an all-day affair on the trail. Glad to be back in the condo relaxing.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

On 7/23/2018 at 2:10 PM, downeastnc said:

Just a reminder to be careful at the beach drownings are all to common now....

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Three-drown-along-North-Carolina-coast-Saturday-488844601.html

Wife and MIL were on the beach at EI yesterday walking the dogs in knee deep water. Rouge wave surprised her and washed her and our Boxer out into the surf. Fortunately wife wife and bystanders were able to assist. My wife said she had not seen the ocean that rough in a while.

7 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Wife and MIL were on the beach at EI yesterday walking the dogs in knee deep water. Rouge wave surprised her and washed her and our Boxer out into the surf. Fortunately wife wife and bystanders were able to assist. My wife said she had not seen the ocean that rough in a while.

My wife just sent me pictures of all the rescues on the beach at EI today. The lifeguards finally just shut the beaches down.

• jburns pinned this topic
  • jburns unpinned this topic