Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

• 4 weeks later...

Not wishing to get too abstract but I think it fits well in this topic: it does seem like this May, June and July will be unusual in terms of weather conditions.  It almost seems possible that there could be one or two very different weather system interactions, perhaps three or four depending on what these conditions will actually be.

I don't get a sense that it would be too extreme or noteworthy in unwelcome ways.  Though, should the direct and sizable west to east troughs continue, there would at some point be oceanic cyclone activity stirring up and pulled in their direction.

Wanting to post this is mostly stemming from a general curiosity about how the current patterns will actually resolve into any of the familiar summer patterns.  A very comprehensive pattern shift is very possible too, but I wonder if it doesn't quite get there, we will have an unusual mix to observe and from which to learn, and hopefully enjoy too! 

• Thanks 1

Decided to  put this in Banter, instead of the Long Term Disco..

Does this bear Watching & recording?

Year without a summer?  Per Se??????

Well; I actually mean, a COOL summer? at least until Mid~Late June?

In science terms... Are we entering, a Maunder Minimum? Re: Low to No Sunspots, & Solar Minimum(s)???

Since the Topic: is Long range/Term Discussion...

WHAT IF: We are entering a period of a "Solar Minimum"? 

I'm asking a very HONEST & Valid question...

In all my 55 years on this Rocky Ball, I cannot remember *EVER* cool temps like  this.. This Late for SouthEastern N.C.

ALWAYS,,,,, BY THIS date, APRIL 20TH, I'm FISHING,, OCEAN CREST PIER , (Oak Island) and We are catching KING Mackerel & Spanish.(On or about this Date for years!, ).. (Since I stared King fishing in the Early-Mid70's),,,  Yet the water temp, (even there)is 58~59 today..  Kings & Spanish preferred temps are 68 & above..

So a HONEST question..

What does the Long Term look like beyond 10 days? We have temps forecasted here in SENC, not even breaking 70 till next Sunday.. (10 Day) forecast.

Are We entering a Solar Minimum? I ask because there are "numerous" Science articles out there like this one from 2017..

Solar Minimum is coming.. https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/news-articles/solar-minimum-is-coming

How would/Will this affect OUR Long Term Weather outlook this Summer/Year? 

Sorry Mods.. I'm HONESTLY asking for a reasonable answer/discussion.. 

• Like 1

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0006-5

Main Atlantic Ocean currents are changing: I didn't know about this until a few minutes ago!  This more broad article is not mentioning the sea surface temperature differences that you are noticing, so it is important to hear a direct firsthand report.  

The past two summers have definitely been cooler (but not completely cool), a simple aspect of that being the length of time it has taken for RDU to eventually reach 90. 

On 4/20/2018 at 6:33 PM, calm_days said:

Main Atlantic Ocean currents are changing: I didn't know about this until a few minutes ago!  This more broad article is not mentioning the sea surface temperature differences that you are noticing, so it is important to hear a direct firsthand report.  

The past two summers have definitely been cooler (but not completely cool), a simple aspect of that being the length of time it has taken for RDU to eventually reach 90. 

Yeah, that was the main problem with the science in Day After Tomorrow. They never took into account the date RDU reached 90. Ruined the whole damn movie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 3:33 PM, calm_days said:

When will this even out? Do we continue on a trend or stabilize somewhere soon? (I think it stabilizes but there is still room to move, we are maybe 60% of the way there since 2013)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, frazdaddy said:

I can not access from work PC but phone works ok. Got the same fatal error msg.

Yeah, I was trying from work too. Last night I got in but the format was all weird. We will see what is instore for tonight.

Is there even weather anymore? Shouldnt this site morph into AmericanBanter.com?  I mean normal weather would be just fine.  But going from cold snaps to 90's in May to flooding rainfall to b..o..r..i..n..g is not fun.  What ever happened to a good ole fashioned afternoon pop up thunderstorm?

46 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

It’s going like gang busters, with all the rain! Went light this year, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers! Back to havin to water with this new dry stretch! How’s yours?

Same ,lots of flowers. Roses, Peonies and Hibiscus are the stars this year. We invested in a large Weeping Blue Atlas Ceder (8 ft). Going to try my hand at shaping it.  

• jburns pinned this topic
  • jburns unpinned this topic