Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Banter Thread

jburns

10 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

I bought my new ride (2018 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax 4x4 V8) right before the leaves changed.  I’ll drive it for ten years at least.

B4B6A918-B395-43BA-8D90-4D165E703051.jpeg

Man that’s a nice ride too.  My 1997 Altima has 208k and still rolling pretty good.  I would like to get something with AC though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Man that’s a nice ride too.  My 1997 Altima has 208k and still rolling pretty good.  I would like to get something with AC though.

Nice! My 94 Silverado, runs like a Cadillac! 246,000 and a classic! They don't make them looke that anymore! Love that thing! Can't wait to dig the chains out for that Jan 11th storm! ;)

So they are talking about this being the 3rd coldest New Year's Eve in New York City, with the coldest being Dec 31, 1917.  Dec 1917 was the coldest Dec on record in Charlotte.  Here's a photo of a car on the frozen Yadkin River from Dec 17, 1917.  Ice was 8 inches thick - http://surrycounty.pastperfectonline.com/photo/F57129DC-B587-492B-8753-585554254989

FhM6Fzk.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, griteater said:

So they are talking about this being the 3rd coldest New Year's Eve in New York City, with the coldest being Dec 31, 1917.  Dec 1917 was the coldest Dec on record in Charlotte.  Here's a photo of a car on the frozen Yadkin River from Dec 17, 1917.  Ice was 8 inches thick - http://surrycounty.pastperfectonline.com/photo/F57129DC-B587-492B-8753-585554254989

FhM6Fzk.png

That is insane.

I didn't realize any river around here could freeze on the surface like this, much less in Dec?? Seems even more crazy this didn't happen later in Jan or Feb.

17 hours ago, griteater said:

FhM6Fzk.png

Here is a link to that remarkable freeze. https://www.ourstate.com/big-freeze/

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2017 at 1:46 PM, jburns said:

Another new year. I'm starting mine with a new ride.

Sweet ride!! ^_^

On 12/31/2017 at 3:24 PM, magpiemaniac said:

I bought my new ride (2018 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax 4x4 V8) right before the leaves changed.  I’ll drive it for ten years at least.

Very nice!  :) 

On 12/31/2017 at 3:36 PM, Cold Rain said:

I would die without AC  :(   

To keep MBY stuff off the even thread: my parents are poo-pooing the ice threat in Brunswick County. I think they should be prepared for a potentially significant ice storm. What might we see, there? 0.25" of glaze with an inch or two of snow on top is nothing to sneeze at.

8 minutes ago, NCSU_Pi said:

To keep MBY stuff off the even thread: my parents are poo-pooing the ice threat in Brunswick County. I think they should be prepared for a potentially significant ice storm. What might we see, there? 0.25" of glaze with an inch or two of snow on top is nothing to sneeze at.

I haven't looked at any soundings there, but yes....they should be prepared for frozen slush at the very least  ;) 

Getting up this morning and seeing my temperature so low triggered a memory of when I was a boy and we had a slp way down off Florida and it was 11 degrees here.

The most beautiful perfect onset a few hours later as tiny ice crystals began to fall. Over the next few hours that transitioned into bigger and bigger flakes until the afternoon when we had a full on blizzard - with official blizzard warnings from the NWS.  Ended up over a foot. That must have been the early to mid 70s. That was the biggest snow I had experienced in this area until Jan 2000.

• jburns pinned this topic
  • jburns unpinned this topic