Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

8 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

If this keeps trending west you won't want to be in scituate and 6 inches of slop. Consider 35 miles farther north along the north shore seawalls in places like marblehead. Show us video of the crashing waves.

Thanks for the advice,  greatly appreciated!  Will definitely adjust my prospective intercept location based on now-casting and radar.  If the 06z Nam verifies, I would definitely not be documenting the event in Scituate.  Should be asleep,  since I have a 17 hour drive from here just to get to the S shore! Lol

Didn't mean to go OT with my plans, there, but TY for the post!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Thanks for the advice,  greatly appreciated!  Will definitely adjust my prospective intercept location based on now-casting and radar.  If the 06z Nam verifies, I would definitely not be documenting the event in Scituate.  Should be asleep,  since I have a 17 hour drive from here just to get to the S shore! Lol

Didn't mean to go OT with my plans, there, but TY for the post!

Don't amend anything unless a red tag met tells you, lol. 

1 minute ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Why the cheap shot? If it's wagons west and it's 33 and a mix of snow and rain in scituate, and I had just driven 17 hours...I'd want a backup. Wouldn't you?

We've had days and days of modeling and the nam is alone. A super western outlier. Several Mets In here pointed out they think this snows to the canal. Not a cheap shot. Just the truth 

1 hour ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

This storm has extremely high bust potential on many fronts, reminding me of the many snow events of the 1980s which most of you are too young to remember. Three in particular come to mind. January 1987. February 1987. February 1989. All three events trended farther east. Lots of busted forecasts. This was back when tv news was king and local tv anchors and mets were huge stars.

February 1987 spared most of New England but slammed cape cod with one of its worst blizzards on record. 1989 spared most of the eastern seaboard despite initial, ominous warnings. Huge model failure.

I remember all 3 failures vividly, esp the 1/87, I remember my Dad saying sometimes it is too cold to snow....in a way he was right

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

We've had days and days of modeling and the nam is alone. A super western outlier. Several Mets In here pointed out they think this snows to the canal. Not a cheap shot. Just the truth 

So sorry to get this thread somewhat OT.  In fairness, and defintely understand your concern (which is greatly appreciated), believe he was basing his advice on a track similar to the 06z Nam...where Scituate could conceivably mix, appreciably, and fail to verify blizzard conditions.  

In all honesty,  you both wrote well-meaning posts...and I thank each of you!

10 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Forgetting the snow for a moment, which seawall community offers the best viewing point for wave action and videoing purposes?

16 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Cut your drive down to 4 hours and sample the coastal blizzard at Virginia Beach. 

Thanks for the advice, Roger!  Know that makes more sense, all things being equal, and have considerd that option.   OTOH, don't anticipate 12" snowfall totals and suspect a much greater probability of verifying blizzard in SNE...as opposed to the SE VA shoreline.  

Will make final decision by 11 am...as I hope to be on the road no later than 2 pm.  Would arrive on the S shore around 7 am, if so.  Thanks again, Roger, for your thoughtful post!

I think the NAM came that far west because it started to resolve the feedback issue it was having east of Cape Hattaras on previous runs - so it moved the low pressure center west at the surface. I’m betting it jumps a pinch east on the next run as it better resolves where that low pressure center is with all the phasing going on.

btv has gone 3-8 inches and -40 windchills, just another day in vermont lol

haha j/k (sort of)), ......i think its a reasonable forecast at this lead time, keying in on  the blowing snow and cold which will continue to be the big story up this way.

wish i could drive east of here into the jackpot, but alas work....bah.

Archived