Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

The major features aren't going to change. Bombing low, big high pressure to the west. That has big wind written all over it.

That may be the biggest pressure differential I've seen. Not sure if there are other factors that contribute to big wind, but that certainly won't hurt. '78 was 1050 to 980, and brought cane force wind, Euro is 1040 to 945. 

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

You're putting up PBs left and right. Probably will set a pretty high mark in the cold department over the next week. Won't be at all surprised if you put up 12"+ sometime soon, too.

That's what happen when you move from Naboo to Hoth lol. Exciting times ahead!

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You may have exceedingly high expectations every winter after this year.

Good news! I have two decades worth of disappointments to settle my expectations. Even the worst year here will deliver a bucket load of gravy to my front door.

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

So it's the squeeze between the high in the Lakes and the low on the BM, or is it the proximity of the low center that matters most?

Think of a hurricane, the tightest gradient and pressure falls are closest to the center as the lines tighten the winds increase.  Pressure falls over distance determine wind speed. I see the Euro has wind chills -50 plus in the central and northern CTRV Sunday. Ouch

9 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That may be the biggest pressure differential I've seen. Not sure if there are other factors that contribute to big wind, but that certainly won't hurt. '78 was 1050 to 980, and brought cane force wind, Euro is 1040 to 945. 

That's what caused 78' to be so substantial. 

I don't have the memory or database in my brain like Will and Scott.. But I don't remember a recent example of a gradient like this. It's a rather unusual setup. 

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Think of a hurricane, the tightest gradient and pressure falls are closest to the center as the lines tighten the winds increase.  Pressure falls over distance determine wind speed. I see the Euro has wind chills -50 plus in the central and northern CTRV Sunday. Ouch

Thanks, of course that makes perfect sense. I think Boxing Day, despite how I loath it, remains the windiest nor'easter in my memory.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

People throwing out ratios need to keep in mind that if these winds materialize closer to the center of circulation.  Winds will knock those down.  I would not go to wild with ratios.

Well, the thankfully the center is currently300mi off the coast lol

Archived