joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve got maybe 2 NNE peeps in these threads.  Where are the fellow north country weenies? Everyone hoping to jack down south can please redirect to the whites? Seems reasonable.  What can you do with it there besides turn on a snowblower and send your kid out to shovel!  Let’s get the bulk of this north.  Then we can dine on Hefeweizen and bbq and talk about how fun it was.  Final call for 11” on my side of the valley.  

that's been the one defining characteristic in the models, is the lack of defining continuity.

so far it's been a bigger monster for the models than any human being.  ... pick a cycle, or a model ... different winners and losers with respect to either...

the system, as modeled so far, is unique. it's really hyper concentric, and exceptionally concentrated close to core ... similar in a lot of ways like a hybrid storm... One thing that has stood out the whole way is the exceptional depth in pressure, which is really akin to just saying intensity.  if not literally, ..symbolically it is as though this thing is too strong... It may not be physically possible to simultaneously maintain that sort of surface pressure and also have the mechanics to 'spread it's influence out' ... A slightly shallower surface pressure might actually spread this beast over a wider areas, as the total mechanics wouldn't be so centroid. 

2 minutes ago, WeatherNurse said:

I’ve got maybe 2 NNE peeps in these threads.  Where are the fellow north country weenies? Everyone hoping to jack down south can please redirect to the whites? Seems reasonable.  What can you do with it there besides turn on a snowblower and send your kid out to shovel!  Let’s get the bulk of this north.  Then we can dine on Hefeweizen and bbq and talk about how fun it was.  Final call for 11” on my side of the valley.  

Lol I am not surprised. You can come cross country ski, sled  or snowmobile in my woods with temps in the above zero teens versus minus zero teens.  

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The GFS banding sig for mid level stuff is really far west... like into W CT/E NY. The ECMWF has been quite a bit east of that. 

Just interesting. 

I wonder if it's one of those cases where they'll be a few bands of S or even briefly S+, but interspersed with light stuff? I kind of buy the potential that far west....but wonder if the moisture bomb east messes that up?

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I don't really see any observational evidence that there is a dual-low structure.

Satellite presentation is a classic single low center.

Tippy posted a link a few pages back with the wind field. Looked like two with the eastern being the stronger entity. Has induced neurosis in this weenie for sure.

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

The short range models are coming in colder with the surface low over Cape Cod, cooling the air faster, and 925mb temps go above freezing just for an hour or two now instead of all morning, plus we bottomed out in temps at about 20F this evening.

Hey buddy, GL. Winds will shake, good snows too. 

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Tippy posted a link a few pages back with the wind field. Looked like two with the eastern being the stronger entity. Has induced neurosis in this weenie for sure.

As cool as those nullschool graphics look, it's just the GFS forecast surface winds turns into streamlines. 

Satellite presentation argues that the low should be sitting somewhere just north of buoy 41002. 

Archived