Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, bkviking said:

I’m on north shore of LI and there’s quite a jump in blizzard warnings in current decade (*not saying each one verified). We share quite similar climate to SNE so I believe most of these also occurred in SNE.  From memory: 

Feb 2010

Dec 2010

perhaps Jan 2011

Feb 2013. 

Jan 2014. 

Jan 2015. 

Jan 2016. 

Feb 2017

Jan 2018. 

My mom lives in Rocky Point.  They've gotten a ton of snow the past few years.  The inland and latitude advantage that we should have up here has not been a factor in most of the storms.  I think you'll clean up for this one.

13 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Awesome BOX AFD 428pm... great detail of mechanics... and some forecasting excerpts:

Still some uncertainty re: snowfall amounts: "Mass fiends and coincident dynamics slightly juxtaposed among the guidance, but there is consensus on how unprecedented this system is, its dynamics, associated lift / omega / banding signatures while subtly off from one another roughly W to E. Incredibly difficult to forecast, quite the headache. Any tiny shift on the order of 10 miles can make all the difference in snow amounts, main threats, impacts."

"Guidance continuing to wobble, perhaps due to latent heat / convective feedback issues."

"Final note, feel snow amounts are overshadowing the bigger impacts to this system. Incredible to say the least, when is the last time we saw such a bombing storm, the likes of which CIPS Analogs poorly score. Strong to damaging winds along with coastal flood impacts are more than likely to be the bigger players, yielding damage to infrastructure along with scattered to widespread power outages as colder air surges in from the W as we go into the late week period."

The AFDs have been consistently great reads lately. Of course, for a novice like myself it is like reading some of Tips posts but in both cases, really helps the learning curve.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Details please.

He just was saying it’s gonna snow heavy...but he doesn’t know where the heaviest bands set up...and that could give some peeps 12+ easily.  Thinks Hartford and New Haven are pretty easily gonna get 8 inches...and may have to up the amounts a lil more.  But says if it was a LIL closer...we’d be really in trouble.  So not a direct hit for CT.  He does a very nice job explaining and informing. 

Just now, Johnno said:

91 is the demarcation between 4-8 West to NY and 8-12 to RI but he hinted everything may have to shift west again and possibly a central/eastern CT band with 12+

Tough call... a lot of what I see makes me want to  go higher but the fast motion and the Euro still be a smidge east has me gun shy. 

2 hours ago, DomNH said:

Yeah it has that post-occlusion look to the precip distribution to me on the hourly panels. Not sure that's right but wouldn't be totally surprised if it is more of a "shredded radar" vs. uniform precip shield kind of storm. 

You Mentioned This a few Times

What time is this suppose to occlude

Archived