Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Reading Hanes short term AFD, He sounded like he had a lot of uncertainty on the outcome.

I am picking up the same vibe and have for the entire discussion about this storm from GYX.  It’s interesting to see that we’re still only looking at 8-10” in my area. They have shifted upward over last 12hrs to account for the hints at a more westward solution.  

1 minute ago, WeatherNurse said:

I am picking up the same vibe and have for the entire discussion about this storm from GYX.  It’s interesting to see that we’re still only looking at 8-10” in my area. They have shifted upward over last 12hrs to account for the hints at a more westward solution.  

This storm has carried a much larger short term uncertainty than normal. Ryan and I were talking yesterday about how for a > 72 hour forecast the GEFS spread was greater than 99th percentile.

So I think despite relatively small deterministic track shifts, there is more uncertainty than many think.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This storm has carried a much larger short term uncertainty than normal. Ryan and I were talking yesterday about how for a > 72 hour forecast the GEFS spread was greater than 99th percentile.

So I think despite relatively small deterministic track shifts, there is more uncertainty than many think.

Nowcast storm for sure! I would be happier with bit more certainty so I know whether or not i’m running the race training mom shuttle with 4 pairs of skis or the we’re outta here going freeskiing shuttle!!  Basically, it’s all about me and which skis I have to load in the am ;)  You have a guess as to whether we get precip before 0500? 

The ECMWF is certainly farther east than the GFS/NAM with the best H5-H7 lift and frontogenesis. Should be a hellacious thump with lift maximized through the DGZ.

The Euro is PVD-HFD with that front (sloped east to west from 700mb up to 500mb) while the 18z GFS is like IJD-POU. 

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

It's just the whole idea of the thing....you know...A Blizzard Warning Man...doesn't happen too often so it makes a Weenie feel good.

I’m on north shore of LI and there’s quite a jump in blizzard warnings in current decade (*not saying each one verified). We share quite similar climate to SNE so I believe most of these also occurred in SNE.  From memory: 

Feb 2010

Dec 2010

perhaps Jan 2011

Feb 2013. 

Jan 2014. 

Jan 2015. 

Jan 2016. 

Feb 2017

Jan 2018. 

Awesome BOX AFD 428pm... great detail of mechanics... and some forecasting excerpts:

Still some uncertainty re: snowfall amounts: "Mass fiends and coincident dynamics slightly juxtaposed among the guidance, but there is consensus on how unprecedented this system is, its dynamics, associated lift / omega / banding signatures while subtly off from one another roughly W to E. Incredibly difficult to forecast, quite the headache. Any tiny shift on the order of 10 miles can make all the difference in snow amounts, main threats, impacts."

"Guidance continuing to wobble, perhaps due to latent heat / convective feedback issues."

"Final note, feel snow amounts are overshadowing the bigger impacts to this system. Incredible to say the least, when is the last time we saw such a bombing storm, the likes of which CIPS Analogs poorly score. Strong to damaging winds along with coastal flood impacts are more than likely to be the bigger players, yielding damage to infrastructure along with scattered to widespread power outages as colder air surges in from the W as we go into the late week period."

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The ECMWF is certainly farther east than the GFS/NAM with the best H5-H7 lift and frontogenesis. Should be a hellacious thump with lift maximized through the DGZ.

The Euro is PVD-HFD with that front (sloped east to west from 700mb up to 500mb) while the 18z GFS is like IJD-POU. 

Split the diff?

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

bullish because it does not match with OKX leading up to Litchfield county. I dont trust OkX at all so I’ll just go with ALY. 

OKX has a tough job here. There's a lot of uncertainty in their area considering that's where the gradient will likely end up between the western zones just getting light mood snows and southeastern zones an all out blizzard.

Archived