Weathernoob335
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

Thanks guys

Warm core, as in tropical cyclone mechanics sustaining intensification north of VA/NC...? I'm not gonna pretend to understand the physical processes, how an asymmetric warm core relates to conveyer belt and other mechanics of cold core lows, and how this alters our interpretation of guidance. But much to learn from this system in next 24 hours.

Sort of, in the sense that latent heating (convection) is helping to drive the bus for a time.

It is a complicated dynamical process, but that’s what models are forecasting to occur.

It can happen with the transition of a tropical system (Sandy), or like this can happen when a powerful PV anomaly becomes involved.

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A little concerned that it may be mild like a 34 Fahrenheit snow for a time until after 11 12 o’clock or so.

Down in Charleston, SC and other SE locations, the WC has indicated that the colder air came in faster than anticipated according to the models, giving them heavier snow now.  Charleston has at least 4 inches already.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty bullish forecast by BOX...that's a large area over 12"....not totally convinced, though certainly plausible.

Yeah not sure I would’ve put the 18 in there, but probably a large area of eight to say 14 with some lollies. You know they’ll be a few lucky spots we always know that.

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

Down in Charleston, SC and other SE locations, the WC has indicated that the colder air came in faster than anticipated according to the models, giving them heavier snow now.  Charleston has at least 4 inches already.

And we see that here all the time too. 

4 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

I remember a 9” snowfall in New Bern, NC.  It was rare indeed!

Loved that town!

3 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

My aunt is reporting 7" about 45 miles to NW of Charleston, as they stayed almost all snow. That's up there with 1973 and 1989 territory for that town (both also 7").

Archived