Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, weathafella said:

Everyone always gets testy with one another after days of working on a way this is going to hit.   Relax friends-in every system there are people rejoicing and others disappointed.  We just don’t know who will be either just yet.

Jackpot fetishes run really high in the final 24 hours.

Honestly, while it's always nice getting the jackpot...it will be plenty of fun to get a solid warning system missing the jackpot too. Far western folks have more to sweat and maybe those right down near the Canal....everyone else in between is just being greedy, lol.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone always gets testy with one another after days of working on a way this is going to hit.   Relax friends-in every system there are people rejoicing and others disappointed.  We just don’t know who will be either just yet.

It's been entertaining ... that's for sure. 

The engineering has been marvelous :)   ... eliding critical negations in lieu of supportive variables, all the while "sounding" completely objective - it's really rather remarkable how finessed that art is painted with this devotion.  ahaha

Lots at stake and emotions invested. I'm finally in a happy place with model tracking. If it snows a lot that's awesome. If it doesn't, it makes my life with chickens and the clean up a lot easier. Win-win and a lot less stress. ;)

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Jackpot fetishes run really high in the final 24 hours.

Honestly, while it's always nice getting the jackpot...it will be plenty of fun to get a solid warning system missing the jackpot too. Far western folks have more to sweat and maybe those right down near the Canal....everyone else in between is just being greedy, lol.

We joke but I got 3-4" at home last night and the mountain picked up a foot of new snow...

That's the stuff that sneaks under the radar while watching for the "big one" that will likely end up delivering less snow than some moose fart or whatever happened last night.

I'll take my snow last night and add it to tomorrow and feel better about the total, lol.

Just now, vortmax said:

Interesting...

NAO.png

Gotta thaw this at some point ...

Though most that regular this particular social media outlook would druthers that off until April sometimes ...hell, some would steal away June if they could, in reality, it can't stay cold forever :(

However, that product is but one index, and... one that usually gets trumped by the NE Pacific anyway,... I think the complete ensemble of tele's is probably more important than the NAO alone. 

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh now the maps come out once they show what we want to see ;).  Called it days ago.  As soon as it showed a big hit the maps would come out.

Thanks for all your help pulling this as far we as possible though, its much appreciated. 

Put the easterly inflow recognition at the top of your evaluation program for storms in the future. You’ll become much better at seeing the whole field 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Put the easterly inflow recognition at the top of your evaluation program for storms in the future. You’ll become much better 

Haha touche.  If there's a will there's a way. 

I'm sure the easterly inflow will be part of the reanalysis for the heavier snows.  

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Gotta thaw this at some point ...

Though most that regular this particular social media outlook would druthers that off until April sometimes ...hell, some would steal away June if they could, in reality, it can't stay cold forever :(

However, that product is but one index, and... one that usually gets trumped by the NE Pacific anyway,... I think the complete ensemble of tele's is probably more important than the NAO alone. 

Is it going negative temporarily due to this storm's forcing?

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We joke but I got 3-4" at home last night and the mountain picked up a foot of new snow...

That's the stuff that sneaks under the radar while watching for the "big one" that will likely end up delivering less snow than some moose fart or whatever happened last night.

I'll take my snow last night and add it to tomorrow and feel better about the total, lol.

No offense, but we don't count you when we are talking about far western folks sweating it out. We all know you will get a moose fart up at 1500 feet near Stowe that will cause a 17" snowstorm multiple times per winter while mreaves, eyewall, and the other VT posters are truly the ones sweating it out.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Put the easterly inflow recognition at the top of your evaluation program for storms in the future. You’ll become much better at seeing the whole field 

OH, ahahah... I was looking at that elephantitus of the nuts out there in the extended... 

Yeah, that could be... The NAO, among it's many fine attributes, does tend to more erratic mode shifts due to larger scale perturbations passing through.  It's not an index that is "as" anchored in longer termed environmental driving factors, such as the EPO ...which benefits from the upstream Pacific majesty, both air and sea combined... 

blah blah, but most advanced users of the NAO no that it jolts do to transient events. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No offense, but we don't count you when we are talking about far western folks sweating it out. We all know you will get a moose fart up at 1500 feet near Stowe that will cause a 17" snowstorm multiple times per winter while mreaves, eyewall, and the other VT posters are truly the ones sweating it out.

For example, here in East Montpelier we got an only an inch of fluff last night.  Great to hear the mountain got a surprise dump.  I think with GFS map would be sitting in one of those 4" holes surrounded by 7-8" in surrounding areas for the "big" storm.

Archived