Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Sound reasoning.

Thoughts on totals?

I actually liked the look and distribution of the 06z hi-res RGEM.  Picks up on the fronto band as well as the deformation band.  The red stripe is 40mm. Orange is 30-40mm so an so forth.  I'd cut back on the western and northern edges.

SN_000-048_0000.thumb.gif.a380af0d9c52ec05b29b52143768da39.gif

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I actually liked the look and distribution of the 06z hi-res RGEM.  Picks up on the fronto band as well as the deformation band.  The red stripe is 40mm. Orange is 30-40mm so an so forth.  I'd cut back on the western and northern edges.

SN_000-048_0000.thumb.gif.a380af0d9c52ec05b29b52143768da39.gif

I'd gladly take that here..that works just fine for Central CT.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree its less likely...but I don't trust this system..the dynamics and power on display here is difficult for any model to harness...spoken from someone who wants nothing to do with a Berkshire bonanza. I agree, though..if modeling is correct, that outcome is pretty unlinlkely.

Never say never, but I'm pretty much tossing them until I see a reason to give them more than an extreme goalpost scenario type weighting. This is like those nam runs before the Jan '15 blizzard that were jackpotting NNJ over to MPM. Meanwhile, the RGEM was pretty consistently saying there would be a pretty sharp cutoff near ORH. Our mid-level center is tracking outside of ACK...even on the 06z NAM it did. It is pretty hard to get those types of solutions with the synoptics the way they are...and especially true when we take into account that we are in a progressive pattern. If there was more blocking downstream it would be easier to turn this left.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The track is pretty much locking in imo, its the subtle dofferences with convection and dual lows that we are still in the dark with. I guess that affects banding and how far west the inflow gets but the surface low wont hug over ELI. 

How much affect could latent heat release from extreme convection have on downstream ridging and ultimate track?  It seems like this piece of the puzzle might be tough to handle with such a rapidly deepening storm.

Archived