Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I think a more common sense reason why you get good QPF over areas of subsidence on model output is because those areas of subsidence fluctuate and move.  Even the "RI snow hole" grows and shrinks over the duration of a storm.  It also doesn't help that the GFS output is either 3 hours or 6 hours depending on time frame, and things are moving around between those output frames.

This is why I like the simulated radar on the 3km NAM and the HRRR (once you get close enough) because it's much better at showing how that type of feature will show up at the surface, and it's hour-by-hour.

I agree about the time intervals. On bufkit now you can do 1-hr intervals on the GFS out to 120 hours which is sick!!

Ray, i reluctantly put the pipe down.

Do you believe hobbyists usually go too low or too high w accumulations.

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

500 mb is starting to get a little too high (cold) for significant banding. That 700 mb map I showed is sort of right in the sweet spot for dendritic growth.

Thank you for the response

How many hours are those areas on your shaded map looking like they could potentially see banding for. 2/4/6? Thank you very much

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ray, i reluctantly put the pipe down.

Do you believe hobbyists usually go too low or too high w accumulations.

Thank you for the response

How many hours are those areas on your shaded map looking like they could potentially see banding for. 2/4/6? Thank you very much

Looks like someone in NE MA/SE NH could get into it for more than 6 hours at the pivot point. Verbatim, a little east of ASH maybe.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Looks like someone in NE MA/SE NH could get into it for more than 6 hours at the pivot point. Verbatim, a little east of ASH maybe.

Same page....my first call was predicated on a continued west trend, but should that not transpire, then I should be sitting pretty.

30 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The hard part for me won't be settling for 4" while someone 50 miles E gets 18", I get bummed by missing out on the opportunity to see +SN.  No jackpot fetish here, I just like seeing whiteout conditions.  The eastern folks can keep their 18-20",  just let me get my 4-5" in an hour. LOL

this has been my wish through these hundreds of events...let them have their waist deep snows but give me a foot with a few hours of +sn thrown in

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I tend to agree, but I will say the convection will be the wildcard. 

If we get that nascent low to form a little farther west down by Bimini, all bets are off.

Having it end up west of the current consensus and tonight's 00z euro trend east aren't mutually exclusive. :lol:

Agree.

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Probably gonna be nothing great here unfortunately....unless we get another tick West.  But a few inches of snow is better than no inches of snow...so I’ll take it and be happy.

What about the idea that the banding could set up further west than shown.....thats been discussed with this storm and has shown up in other storms.....I think we're in a decent spot so lets see how we end up.....it won't be meh but it won't be the best ever.....thats fine...plenty of time left

Archived