Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hey, maybe it will end up over me after reading what Chris said about 12z shortwave verification...

I'm just playing, just making the point I usually fall on that axis. My spot is similar to Steve's overall but we don't rack up in the same storms usually. 

The 0z GFS doesn't have all those little vort maxes at 500h east of FL as it bottoms out and emerges off of FL......there are some there but its markedly less.....IDK for me that was a bothersome feature that I felt like it would wash itself out as we got closer....it did and it seems like a cleaner run.....this storm is so annoying

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Nothing overly crazy at 00z so far... Harvey’s call looks good... I don’t really see a reason to start pushing 20” amounts.. still another days worth of model runs to sort it out.

There will be a localized area that gets 20"...remember I posted this.

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is what makes me nervous...this is 700mb VV on the GFS. Pretty extensive area of some slightly negative VV's just to the NW of where the banding would be (logically). That is going to really not only damper someones day but kill someones forecast somewhere

subsidence.thumb.jpg.96cdb64cc88bfef15f1446eb002d5682.jpg

Yeah, I mentioned that about an earlier run. Looked like March '13 to me. Midlevels are gonna be wound up really tight with a low this deep; I do worry that someone is gonna suck major subsidence.  EDIT: Also, nice self portrait.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

This is what makes me nervous...this is 700mb VV on the GFS. Pretty extensive area of some slightly negative VV's just to the NW of where the banding would be (logically). That is going to really not only damper someones day but kill someones forecast somewhere

If that verifies...Ginxy and JC aren’t gonna be happy...

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Thats gonna happen somewhere but where who knows......remember Feb 2013? Greatest death band ever......we knew it right away too.....At this point you gotta hope we're not smokin that when it comes......its the most frustrating thing ever......are you in West Hartford for this?

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Yeah, I mentioned that about an earlier run. Looked like March '13 to me. Midlevels are gonna be wound up really tight with a low this deep; I do worry that someone is gonna suck major subsidence.

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

If that verifies...Ginxy and JC aren’t gonna be happy...

It's definitely going to verify it's just a question of where. 

What goes up must go down! If you have an area of extreme upward vertical motion you have to have an area of extreme downward vertical motion somewhere. There could be so many localized pockets of subsidence too...what a mess

1 minute ago, ice1972 said:

Thats gonna happen somewhere but where who knows......remember Feb 2013? Greatest death band ever......we knew it right away too.....At this point you gotta hope we're not smokin that when it comes......its the most frustrating thing ever......are you in West Hartford for this?

I am...supposed to fly out to TX too at like 5 AM Friday morning. 

I might wake up at 6:00 AM and make a snow forecast since I have to do stuff after work and it would be like 10 PM before I could which would be cheating but if I had to do something now...I would maybe do 4-8'' east of the River. I would **** bricks though about the upper end of the range

9 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Lol, he's seen plenty of snow. Been nonstop since Thanksgiving up there.

The hard part for me won't be settling for 4" while someone 50 miles E gets 18", I get bummed by missing out on the opportunity to see +SN.  No jackpot fetish here, I just like seeing whiteout conditions.  The eastern folks can keep their 18-20",  just let me get my 4-5" in an hour. LOL

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's definitely going to verify it's just a question of where. 

What goes up must go down! If you have an area of extreme upward vertical motion you have to have an area of extreme downward vertical motion somewhere. There could be so many localized pockets of subsidence too...what a mess

Yeah, and yet sometimes we see things modeled and they kind of wash out in the end. Who knows. Won't pull my hair out either way.

Archived