Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bboughton said:

I think the average consumer of weather is not reading the somewhat jargon-y text of the warnings  and most know a WSW as a moderate snowstorm and a Blizzard as a dangerous snow storm regardless of actual criteria met.

Blizzard warnings will be w/in 24 hours here. Doesn’t provide a lot of notice. Especially when your average consumer does not even know about this change.

Actually the average consumer of weather information doesn't know the difference between a watch and a warning, and generally think all snowstorms are blizzards.

And our watch/warning products are probably some of our most plain language products we have now. What, where, when, and additional details. 

I also don't think we live in a world anymore where we'll be the first word on a storm. Most people are going to hear about it long before we issue a watch for it.

I think the average consumer of weather is not reading the somewhat jargon-y text of the warnings  and most know a WSW as a moderate snowstorm and a Blizzard as a dangerous snow storm regardless of actual criteria met.

Blizzard warnings will be w/in 24 hours here. Doesn’t provide a lot of notice. Especially when your average consumer does not even know about this change.

I think there’s enough saturation of weather info in the media these days that people don’t need to see the word blizzard to know there’s a storm coming.  They tune in to all kinds of media and they will hear all about the potential hazards. Someone who pays no attention to the weather forecasts isn’t going to be swayed to act differently because of terminology.  There are plenty of people who stay put in a hurricane because they’re sure it won’t be that bad. 

This is why IMO it's up to a forecaster to explain the definitions to people so they start to become more familiar with the terms. I hate dumbing things down for people just b/c they're aren't "Weather savoy".  Terms have definitions and definitions are meant for a reason. Don't use the term blizzard just to make the people realize the situation is more extreme...if blizzard conditions may be met...then use the term... if its a really big storm but blizzard criteria is apparent not to be meant...don't use it. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Oh for sure it could be right.  

But it could also be wrong just as easily...being it’s not making a lot of sense from what we’re seeing upstairs??? 

I don't see any real glaring issues on if it's right or wrong...it may be a reason to side with globals for now and see how they trend. More stability there.

Archived