Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Shamelessly purloined from Bluewave. Dude's digging up gold.

Uncertainty....

As mentioned above this storm is still 2 days away and the
average model error at this time range is 50-75 miles. Thus
this applies to the axis of heaviest snow and the location of
the rain-snow line. Hence adjustments in later forecasts are
expected. Will models continue to trend westward in later runs?
Given the amplitude of the long wave pattern, system developing
over the Gulf Stream and convection possibly building the
downstream ridge more than models are simulating all suggest an
eastward trend is unlikely with some additional westward
adjustment possible. We`ve been told recon flights will collect
data shortly and this will likely help improve model
performance.

•  

Nah sbox says sampling don't matter

I've been following the uncertainty in the track of this storm via the NWS forecast discussion updates for GYX.  I've generally been a pessimist, but the afternoon update provided a ray of hope that the Whites and Western Maine could get some snow out of this one.  And by "some" I mean a foot+.  I'll take whatever we can get!  Though I imagine most of it will be scoured off the trails with the intense wind setting up behind it.  With forecasted highs on Sat topping out @ -5ºF (and that's for like the town of North Conway), it won't make for very enjoyable skiing/riding a lift.  I hiked the Sherb today just to stay warm and get some skiing in.  Christmas week was brutal!

I've read a few pages back in this thread - seems there are some reasons to feel as though we could see a few more ticks to the west?  GYX calling for a 7" event in my area at this point.  Should I cross my fingers for good news tomorrow night?  

15 minutes ago, klw said:

In case anyone was wondering about lowest surface pressures in the area, this site breaks it down by month and has another map to show the dates.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/research/roth/SLPrecords.html

Lowest January pressures were associated with teh Cleveland bomb of Jan 78.  Maine had a 957 in Feb 76 and 954 in Dec 42,  LI had a 951.6 in 1914.

Obviously it only shows the onland surfacce pressures so not the most applicable here.

Really random factoid, but that 951 storm in 1914 storm washed away the old golf house on Fishers Island, which had been foolishly built over a beach, and forced the membership to set it back much farther from the water's edge. Anyway, apologies for the digression.

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Should the Ne ocean enhancement combine with best lift over SE mass, is the RI (snow-hole)watch in effect

The ocean enhancement should get Cape Ann down through Boston, Weymouth, Middleboro to New Bedford.  At least the way it looks right now unless future changes occure.

So when you live in Florida.... you get a Winter Storm Warning... for this?  

That's Real Weenies in it's true definition.  "Mixed Precipitation" / "One Inch"  

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO NOON EST
WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Plan on difficult travel
  conditions, including during the morning commute on Wednesday.
  Total snow accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations
  of one tenth to two tenths of an inch are expected.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

With the mature low pressure at our latitude...I think the western half of New England will be shredded bands.  So the potential for surprise is there but it will be in narrow bands.  Like one town gets 6-7" (and everyone is like see we said it would snow out west, lol), where some cyclonic band rotates through for hours on end, but the majority is within 2-5" larger scale advisory snows.

Still 36 hours to see changes though.

hoping for bands after bands of 2-3" / hour. 

Archived