Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I haven't seen any model bring much "warming" into the area above 925mb.  Seems to restricted to below that level, so unless there is some wonky warm layer, I see precip rates overcoming that.  We'll see lower ratios than the MLs (10:1 vs say 20:1) but will see a solid thumping.  Would be nice to see this area get the fronto band followed by the ML deformation.

Doesn't sound like your asking for much..............:lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I haven't seen any model bring much "warming" into the area above 925mb.  Seems to restricted to below that level, so unless there is some wonky warm layer, I see precip rates overcoming that.  We'll see lower ratios than the MLs (10:1 vs say 20:1) but will see a solid thumping.  Would be nice to see this area get the fronto band followed by the ML deformation.

The only concern I have is that it gets borderline at like 950-925. That could make it dicey, but I think that it more for canal east. Just my guess. 

Just now, moneypitmike said:

Hoping for the Hail Mary with the 00z runs.  Ain't happening though--I've seen this way too many times.

Just isn't that type of storm.  We've known this for days, not sure why you keep torturing yourself, haha. 

Going to be a fun one to watch for the BOS folks. 

52 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yea I think we’ll eventually lose the “kick” altogether. We’ve lost the warm core look on most guidance through hr 42 or so, but it seems to come back after that point to some degree, resulting in the further east movement (away from the cold air) which is counter to mid latitude cyclone development.

It should be losing the warm core characteristics with latitude, not gaining them.

Remember, the very cold air and progressive nature of the upper air flow is what is stoping this from just simply coming due north up the coast and crashing into the Rhode Island Conn boarder.  If your in eastern MAss, you don't want that to happen.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm working on a blog post/snow map and I almost don't even want to do a snow map right now lol...there's just too many unknowns and the range potential is just too high. There is zero way to really know where the CCB will setup and that doesn't only influence where the jackpot zones are but it also influences who sucks on subsidence for a good amount of time. I'm even uncertain how expansive the precip shield will be...although this point is more due to lack of knowledge. I want to feel like that since this thing is going to be insanely deep that two things will happen; 1) The core of the precip shield is confined closer to the center of the storm and 2) Will precip end up being more bandy...like what happened in Boxing Day in 2009...that too could also introduce areas of subsidence.

Can’t wait to read it.....every storm different....and Fuk Boxing Day....

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just isn't that type of storm.  We've known this for days, not sure why you keep torturing yourself, haha. 

Going to be a fun one to watch for the BOS folks. 

it really only is 100 miles or so though so i think it is reasonable to have hope....I don't understand why this cannot track to just south of Montauk with the right airmass in place....it is like orh to bos become as far away as California

I wonder how much this storm can wobble west with this really cold air in place and progressive flow. Maybe a few nautical miles but not the 50-100 mile struts we have seen.  I think the goal post are pretty much in place as it looks now unles something huge happens atmosphericaly.

15 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Ya loved that write up.....I believe it was Ray who has said all along wagons west.....that map would reflect that.....

To bad the wagon's wheels fell off at Hubb's house.

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Busiest dead zone in quite awhile.

Agreed--boring.

How were Dr. Mel's maps?  He seemed like a weenie at heart.

7 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

it really only is 100 miles or so though so i think it is reasonable to have hope....I don't understand why this cannot track to just south of Montauk with the right airmass in place....it is like orh to bos become as far away as California

The potential for a surprise is certainly there, I am just very reserved based on what's currently modeled. There will even be screw zones near the CP I'm sure.  You know, 5" differences across town in a place like Taunton or Bridgewater. 

10 minutes ago, Greg said:

Take a look at what was on the ground and tell me it was like '78 with just about 30" on the ground from the storm alone.  Both had just about 3" to start with yet there was only 19" on ground left for the 2003 storm.  So what happened? Harvey Leonard and Todd Gross verified that it was measured every hour.  Simliar to what some mid-Atlantic people do but shouldn't.

They were getting OES combined with CF stuff for awhile in addition to synoptic stuff. Very high ratio too. BOX radar went out, but WCVB kept showing some pretty heavy bands. I never heard of the measuring every hour, but I know what I had and it was a solid 2'. Have some nice pics too. I agree the 78 reference is over the top, but it was a solid 2' storm in BOS.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The potential for a surprise is certainly there, I am just very reserved based on what's currently modeled. There will even be screw zones near the CP I'm sure.  You know, 5" differences across town in a place like Taunton or Bridgewater. 

With the mature low pressure at our latitude...I think the western half of New England will be shredded bands.  So the potential for surprise is there but it will be in narrow bands.  Like one town gets 6-7" (and everyone is like see we said it would snow out west, lol), where some cyclonic band rotates through for hours on end, but the majority is within 2-5" larger scale advisory snows.

Still 36 hours to see changes though.

In case anyone was wondering about lowest surface pressures in the area, this site breaks it down by month and has another map to show the dates.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/research/roth/SLPrecords.html

Lowest January pressures were associated with teh Cleveland bomb of Jan 78.  Maine had a 957 in Feb 76 and 954 in Dec 42,  LI had a 951.6 in 1914.

Obviously it only shows the onland surfacce pressures so not the most applicable here.

White Juan hit 959

http://www.novaweather.net/Blizzard_2004/Blizzard_summary.pdf

Archived