Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WintersComing said:

Is it me or does it seem like GFS and Euro to some extent are having a hard time figuring out that convective mess at the beginning of the storm formation down near FL?

Many times it can be a broad area of low pressure and models struggle where to put the exact low. For instance it could be a huge area of 996mb with a weenie 995.6 pocket and the model will drop a L there. In reality my example shows you that the exact position can vary and doesn’t mean a whole lot there. Once things kick into high gear and intensification occurs, it becomes easier for models to show the exact area of low pressure.

The gfs has been doing this for like a decade.  At least its a standard relatively correctable bias.  I'm not sure why we can't build a model that doesnt do this. It has the worst progressive cyclogenesis bias against all the major world models.  And getting the high impact stuff right does matter regardless if your 5 day height rmse. 

I think Will said it earlier, we keep seeing corrections further north and west on practically every cycle before the ene kick. I looked back at initialization and the correction begins there, but it eventually ‘fades’ out after 36 hours or so. If we keep these corrections coming at initialization tonight and tomorrow....then I think this comes inside the BM just a bit more before the kick. 

Archived