• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Observations

mackerel_sky

A low in the upper teens coming up, which is quite balmy compared to beginning of this month far, incredibly.  This has been quite a memorable cold snap, even with the lack of snow here. So far, I am 17.4 degrees below normal with a max high of 33.3 on 1/5.  I probably won't seen such of stretch of cold in my lifetime unless an ice age is coming for us.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Wow said:

Forecast high temp has been falling... I don't think we'll top out of the 30's again.  After the crappy winters figured this would be coming back.   Welcome to actual Winter folks.

Amen, now all we're due is some actual snow. 

Down to 21 at 10:00. Perfect radiational conditions, no wind and all stars.

Personal station hit 6 this morning while pgv hit 9 o  one obs but stayed at 10 most of the night. We have only been above freezing for maybe 4 hours on the 3rd before the snow. Not only has it been cold at night but low single digits and we tied our all time record. Just impressive.

PGV currently -22.7 on the month.....if it wasnt for that 4-5 hrs above freezing before the storm started Wed we would have managed below freezing from 8 pm Sat Dec 30 till today at 10:40 easily the longest stretch I can remember and of that the vast majority of it was below 25 and probably 15-20 hrs of it was single digits and 3-4 hrs where below zero.....friggen insane. Still those few hrs barely above freezing will break up the consecutive record....

The last snow has finally melted in our area. There are still a few shady spots with snow, but mostly places covered with tree canopies. We had snow on the ground from early Wednesday afternoon until last night. A total of six days of snow. The public schools in the Charleston area are still closed because of the ice and slush threat on our secondary roads and the parking lots still being mostly a sheet of ice.

Just an incredible cold snap. Some of the ponds and creeks on James Island were starting to freeze because of the snow and the cold after it, something that I had never seen before and probably won’t see again for another 25 years. 

15 hours ago, downeastnc said:

Crazy ice coverage on the sounds, its one thing to have some cove ice etc, but the Albemarle was almost iced over...

5a53fad6653fe_Icesounds.jpg.54dc4f23f26ab73f3e6d53fc43237e63.jpg

This may be a dumb question but I wonder if the freezing cold temperatures and snow cover on the eastern seaboard will have any effects on weather around the globe. What kind of affect did this cold snap have on the Gulf Stream?

Archived