• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Observations

mackerel_sky

PGV ties all time record low at -4 so close to that new all time record low...only the second time in living memory that temps have gone below zero......there is a -2 from Feb 14 1899 and -4 Jan 1985 and now -4 Jan 2018.

07 07:00 Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -4 -8     84% NA NA 30.67 NA

Without today factored in PGV is currently -21.7 degrees below normal for the month.....

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, shaggy said:

PGV did the same thing. We crashed to 10 degrees earlier and 20 minutes later we were up to 18. It hung out around there for an hour or so and has now crashed back down to 10. It did this last night as well until about 2 or 3 in the morning then it went down to low signle digits and floated between 0-5 degrres the rest of the night. Suspect the same will happen tonight.

My house that registered -4 this morning was showing 5 degrees according to the wife. I'm stuck at work in a warehouse with no heat so its been a brutal week for me.

I wonder what caused that?

35 minutes ago, yotaman said:

I wonder what caused that?

Mixing would be my guess. I noticed the same pattern did occur. We fluctuated a lot until 11pm then we went single digits and settled down and had much smaller changes. It was face stinging cold leaving work. 

13 for a low this AM - now it's nearing noon and it's only 23.5 - I am done with this cold air mass - I feel like I live in Boone (don't know how those can live there in winter) - I don't ever recall a longer duration of cold (with the exception of Jan 1985 in Memphis, TN - I was out of middle school for more than 3 weeks due to persistent cold and snow)

This is from NWS out of Wakefield, Va

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
Quite a record breaking morning thanks to the arctic high
centered over the NC coastal plain. Records not only fell but
were smashed at RIC/ECG and SBY. Although not official, the temp
at NWS AKQ dropped to a bone chilling -14 degrees just after
sunrise. This also smashes the record for AKQ which was -8 set
on 1/21/1985. It will go down as one of the coldest mornings in
several decades.

With this cold spell I have seen a few people walking out onto ice covered ponds. Rule of thumb is to always break the ice near any flow area and measure. If it is not thicker than 4" there, don't even think about it. https://www.wikihow.com/Know-When-Ice-is-Safe -

Ice covered ponds are very dangerous and folks need to be reminded.

1 hour ago, LithiaWx said:

What kind of weather station is that and where/how does it pull the forecast info at the top left.   That’s some wicked cold....

It's a laCrosse weather station.  It has a WiFi connection, but I'm not sure of the source of the forecast. I was skeptical of the temp being so low, but I've been cross checking it with a mercury thermometer and it seems to be accurate. I got the station for Christmas, so I don't know where it was purchased from.

Edit: the manual says it pulls the forcast from NWS and it matches the grid forcast for my area.

30 minutes ago, goldsborosnow said:

It's a laCrosse weather station.  It has a WiFi connection, but I'm not sure of the source of the forecast. I was skeptical of the temp being so low, but I've been cross checking it with a mercury thermometer and it seems to be accurate. I got the station for Christmas, so I don't know where it was purchased from.

Edit: the manual says it pulls the forcast from NWS and it matches the grid forcast for my area.

Thanks,  nice station.  Temp is right or close I bet. 

Had some high clouds come in at sunset and temp plateaued at 27. Now pretty clear again and temp has fallen 3 degrees to 24 in past hour. Something to remember for everyone, temps will rise 99.9% of the time when thick clouds come in, so you need some cushion if you hope to remain in the 20s after clouding up.

Greenville County schools closed tomorrow.

Archived