• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January Observations

mackerel_sky

Impressive temps where the snow is, I'm so jealous of you coastal guys I can't even see straight! :lol:

Made it down to 10 this morning, so lows this year have been (in descending order) 15, 13, 10, 9, 8; not bad considering I'm not in the mountains and we have no snow to help. Man this could have been epic if even 1 of the 6 chances since Christmas had worked out!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sfct.us_se.thumb.png.1ffb350657668af4fa1da544ae770c96.png

Alright here is the 12/27/17 GDPS for 240hrs ending 01/06/18 at 12z.  Let's compare progged vs actual.  

KCHS progged 16° ... actual 23°... Ironically, GDPS had snow cover at KCHS at this time frame and deeper further inland... so how did the GDPS compare to your nearest location?

2 hours ago, WarmNose said:

16/6 and I have to go work on the house I'm building. It hasn't been inspected yet so the power isnt turned on. All I have is a little space heater and a generator

Be careful.  Reminds me of a story my mother told me that occurred during the February 1958 cold wave when my parents were building the family home.  Workers had set up a salamander heater in the kitchen that overheated and caused a fire.  Being that the house was a month away from being completed, the building contractor went on a foul-mouthed tirade berating the workers since he had to absorb the damage costs caused by the fire.  Records set during that cold spell still stand today in Charlotte.

2 hours ago, Stormsfury said:

Alright here is the 12/27/17 GDPS for 240hrs ending 01/06/18 at 12z.  Let's compare progged vs actual.  

KCHS progged 16° ... actual 23°... Ironically, GDPS had snow cover at KCHS at this time frame and deeper further inland... so how did the GDPS compare to your nearest location?

At the closest reporting station it was about 6 degrees off however there were pockets of -3 to -4 today in the county.  I saw -1 at 8am at the same spot Shaggy had -4 an hour earlier.  Per the latest sticks, 3.25-3.5" of snow cover in open areas, still not crusted on the top.  We should avg about 2-3 degrees colder tonight just eyeballing dewpoints and NAM/ECMWF output. My guess is the -4 record at Greenville is safe but not secure. 

3 hours ago, Stormsfury said:

sfct.us_se.thumb.png.1ffb350657668af4fa1da544ae770c96.png

My nearest recording station is KEWN and although I cannot read the number next to it, there is definitely a negative sign in front of the number. The actual low was 8. So it looks to be from 8 to 12 degrees off which is very good considering that was some 10 days earlier.

20 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

At the closest reporting station it was about 6 degrees off however there were pockets of -3 to -4 today in the county.  I saw -1 at 8am at the same spot Shaggy had -4 an hour earlier.  Per the latest sticks, 3.25-3.5" of snow cover in open areas, still not crusted on the top.  We should avg about 2-3 degrees colder tonight just eyeballing dewpoints and NAM/ECMWF output. My guess is the -4 record at Greenville is safe but not secure. 

HRRR pretty much nailed it last night, the evening runs all took PGV to 0 to -1 which is about where we ended up, RGEM took us to 6 so it was off by 6 and it has us at 3 tonight...HRRR has us 0 again.

It looks like the snow pack still on the ground in the western Sandhills of NC could allow them to dip below zero tonight.  Sanford and Carthage both now have lows below zero forecasted for tonight.  It's a rare event to get lows like that around here!  NWS has lowered tonights mins for most areas down this way to single digits.

22 already. 

Many Greenille peeps will appreciate this, went to Conesttee park today to enjoy a good nature hike and hoping for some frozen water. To my suprise, 95% of every piece of water was frozen!! Some quite thick! Large rocks could not break through. Had a great time and some isolated spots thick enough to walk on!

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

22 already. 

Many Greenille peeps will appreciate this, went to Conesttee park today to enjoy a good nature hike and hoping for some frozen water. To my suprise, 95% of every piece of water was frozen!! Some quite thick! Large rocks could not break through. Had a great time and some isolated spots thick enough to walk on!

Walked my home golf course today. Every pond was frozen solid. Course has been closed the past 8 days to protect the greens. Been a member there my whole life and I've never seen the course closed this long due to cold weather.  

1 minute ago, WarmNose said:

Walked my home golf course today. Every pond was frozen solid. Course has been closed the past 8 days to protect the greens. Been a member there my whole life and I've never seen the course closed this long due to cold weather.  

Going to conestee, went past Bonnie Brae, and there were a few groups playing! LOL

28 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

22 already. 

Drove across Saluda  River yesterday and a whole stretch I saw was completely frozen. The ponds in my neighborhood are of course solid and looks very thick, probably could easily walk out there but I would never try it.

23 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Wow, just hard to believe that cold air is going to flip so quickly and drastically on Monday. Barely been above freezing for a full week then I don't have sub 32 anywhere in my forecast after tomorrow night!

I agree. We haven't seen tempuratures the low for 8 days in our life time. Hard for me to see a quick warm up under cloudy skies and frozen ground. 

8 minutes ago, yotaman said:

In the last hour our temp has actually risen much like it did on Thursday. At 9 PM it was 12/7 and now 1 hour later it is 15/6. Interesting.

PGV did the same thing. We crashed to 10 degrees earlier and 20 minutes later we were up to 18. It hung out around there for an hour or so and has now crashed back down to 10. It did this last night as well until about 2 or 3 in the morning then it went down to low signle digits and floated between 0-5 degrres the rest of the night. Suspect the same will happen tonight.

My house that registered -4 this morning was showing 5 degrees according to the wife. I'm stuck at work in a warehouse with no heat so its been a brutal week for me.

Archived