Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Observations

mackerel_sky

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Storm total 4.5" snow with .27 ice  :)  I can't believe there's still snow on the ground  :lol:  Currently still under a winter weather advisory and a wind chill advisory  

I bet you thought you were done seeing snow. I'm glad you and others got a great storm. The pictures of snow on palm trees made this event for me. 

Snow is slowly eroding, but the roads are slightly better.  Many roads that are more sheltered still are iced up. Charleston has not had a high over 38 this year at this point...  coldest 5 day stretch in KCHS history.  16° officially.  14° here this morning, 12° on the 4th here.  

Work at 9am in the morning will be an adventure, especially on the 1st main road as parts of it are sheltered from sunlight most of the day.

57 minutes ago, Stormsfury said:

Snow is slowly eroding, but the roads are slightly better.  Many roads that are more sheltered still are iced up. Charleston has not had a high over 38 this year at this point...  coldest 5 day stretch in KCHS history.  16° officially.  14° here this morning, 12° on the 4th here.  

Work at 9am in the morning will be an adventure, especially on the 1st main road as parts of it are sheltered from sunlight most of the day.

One for the ages in Charleston and the Low Country.  I was hoping for a January 1800 repeat in Charleston and Savannah.

Video of the snowfall at Boone Hall Plantation.

Truck sensor hit 5 on Bell Arthur Rd about a mile away, 9 in the driveway.  Think the airport hits 4 tonight and makes a run at zero tomorrow night.  Still 3-4” of snow on the ground in open areas of the front and backyard where it didn’t drift as much.  State roads are pretty good, anything off the primaries is ice, real bad...

1 hour ago, Stormsfury said:

You can make it. Especially since the nearest hill is 50 miles away.  :)

28 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Truck sensor hit 5 on Bell Arthur Rd about a mile away, 9 in the driveway.  Think the airport hits 4 tonight and makes a run at zero tomorrow night.  Still 3-4” of snow on the ground in open areas of the front and backyard where it didn’t drift as much.  State roads are pretty good, anything off the primaries is ice, real bad...

That's interesting. I'm on bell Arthur road right near you and my accurite earlier in the week got down to as low as 6. That was 3 degrees colder than PGV but I'm also out there in the wide open fields so I expected to be a touch colder. My wife sent me a text saying the temp was 6 at the house about an hour ago so now I have more confidence that my accurite is pretty accurate on the temp since you had 5 on the truck. I'll check the history in the morning to see what my min temp is tonight......bet we make a run at 0.

It has been crazy here. The last flakes fell here probably Wednesday night (around 9pm). Most of the flakes were done by 5:30 or 6pm Wednesday after they started about 12:45.

Tomorrow we will be in our 4th consecutive day with snow on the ground. I don’t remember if that has ever happened here, even in 1989 and 1973. The ice and sleet that fell before the snow did has made it extra hard for the snow to melt. Probably 80-90% of the accumulation is still here. 

Charleston is still basically shut down. The airport hasn’t opened back up; the buses are just starting back tomorrow at noon. Even fast food places are closing early. We might have snow and ice on the ground until MONDAY. The warmest we will get is low 40s on Sunday. 

PGV officially at 3 degrees. To be sure some outlying areas are flirting with 0. Last week when pgv was at 9 my accurite was at 6 so I'm curious to see if my home weather station has made it to 0.....won't find out till I get off work in the morning and can check it.

49 minutes ago, shaggy said:

officially 1 degree at PGV

Fair

1°F

-17°C

Humidity 78%
Wind Speed Calm
Barometer 30.42 in
Dewpoint -4°F (-20°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Last update 6 Jan 5:40 am EST

Thats a new record for the date ( old was 3) still a chance we get below zero before 7 or 8.....they say tonight is going to be colder so if we dont get below zero at PGV today it should happen tonight. On Wunderground there are several home weather stations showing -1 to -2 in the area outside of town. 

PGV back up to 1 but it did hit 0, hopefully tonight we can get below zero at PGV, lots of personal weather station around the county are -1 to -5  

06 07:20 Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -0 -4     84% NA NA 30.45 NA

MHX said that we may make a run at ALL TIME record lows tonight over a lot of the east.....thats -4 for PGV 

1 minute ago, WeatherNC said:

Took a quick drive, 0 was the avg but I picked up a few -1’s, ‘this was around 8am so one has to think the microclimates were closer to -3 to -4 around sunrise.  Tomorrow I need to get up earlier.

Steve had -4 on his truck on his ride home and his home station hit -5.....he is over in Bell Arthur.

Dropped down to 3 at KJNX this morning. That's the coldest I've ever experienced, I think. Previous was 5 degrees in Kill Devil Hills back in the late 70's. It may have been colder when I was growing up in Bethesda, MD in the 50's and 60's, but I don't remember the weather from so long ago ;)

Archived