SnowHabit
January Observations

mackerel_sky

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

7 this morning...dam! 10 colder than forecast

Bottom dropped out here too.. low was 5. Initially I was thinking 11 yesterday but  it was 11 at around 3 so i figured  I'd get to 8. Didn't expect 5...one of th coldest temps I've ever recorded. 

BTW, an interesting phenomenon that occurs between NW and the lee of the apps in NE GA as arctic air tries to spill over the mnts but has a hard time. Gainesville's low was 24 while Cartersville dropped to 15. Even Tallulah Falls in NE Habersham County "only" dropped to 20. Just interesting to me how the dense cold air has trouble penetrating through the mnts. My location is basically sandwiched between freely getting the arctic air here and having a bit of a hard time, hence my low (19.4) right between Gainesville and Cartersville. I'm curious, Lookout, what was your low? I know Athens only dropped to 27.

Yesterday my low was only 26. ...thanks to the fact my cold air took the long way around to get here from the northeast...as opposed to the northwest in west georgia. That NE flow meeting northwest flow helped with the flurries yesterday though so for once i didn't mind the mountains screwing up the timing of the cold air. 

5 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

If we dont get above freezing here(and we've been at or below since 2AM Sunday Morning), it may be Sunday before we crack it again. 

Yeah same here that's pretty friggen impressive and has to be a top 10 cold snap....we even hit single digits down here last night around the county though officially PGV only hit 10....WE might bet a few degrees above tomorrow but it wont be by much or for long and the cold at the end of the week could get epic with snow pack .

woke up to 10 degrees here on Lake Murray (just NW of Columbia, SC.)  Hot water lines had frozen.  My office is in my unfinished basement and the radiator heater has been no match for this cold. After 3 hours, the air temp in the basement was 44. Has finally come up to 50.  Gives a whole new meaning to "my computer is frozen!"

Archived