Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 25 - ? Arctic Cold

nwohweather

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't have the sexy lows here (coldest min at CLE so far is 0), but if CLE manages to not tick up to 20 or 21 tomorrow they'll pull off 13 straight days below 20, which I believe may be a record. We don't do prolonged cold as well as the rest of the Midwest due to modification from the lakes and an easier time for warm air to glide up west of the Appalachians, so this is impressive either way.  May have a better shot at bottoming out one night over the weekend, especially if we get more ice on the lake upwind of CLE. 

How long can you guys in Ohio/Indiana/Illinois handle these temps with regards to ground frost and water lines freezing?

My area is accustomed to the temps you have been getting recently, but I believe by code, water mains have to be 6-8 feet below grade here in northern Minnesota. 

I am guessing most of your areas it closer to 3 feet? 

24 minutes ago, XfireLOW said:

How long can you guys in Ohio/Indiana/Illinois handle these temps with regards to ground frost and water lines freezing?

My area is accustomed to the temps you have been getting recently, but I believe by code, water mains have to be 6-8 feet below grade here in northern Minnesota. 

We're 5 feet here in N. Central In.  Here's a map for IN. frost depths.

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/Frost_Penetration.pdf

When I ran water lines for my horse arena I put them 6'-8' deep. My problem is the shower pipes in the 120 year old house with no insulation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

We have had prolonged bitter cold before with no major issues. I suppose the several inches of snow is acting as an insulator too.

Archived