New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
6 minutes ago, Ji said:
NAVGEM went east emoji20.png

Thru 78 it looks better then yeah it noses a hair E of last run. Better coastal front signal tho imo and as some stated better precip shield. Noise. I think we are at the mercy of the globals until hi res get into better range.

Yeah, gets precip into DC and then heads out SE for whatever reason

3 hours ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

It is a weather discussion forum isn't it?

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Totally . We all have a common passion that brings us together in forums like this.  I personally think Cobalt has been a fine addition. 

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

Isn’t this a weather forum? Nothing else to track is there?

I didn't take issue with him discussing it. It's more the bad analysis. He had brought up the "we might get the same north trend as 12/8-9" several times even though myself and others have explaned this is a very different synoptic setup then that. He has imo made statements that somewhat exaggerate the amount of actual improvement seen run to run. He said 11 get accumulating snow to D.C.  That number only works if you include several trace amounts and it's not even clear the trace is from that storm. It's a stretch. There was a very slight improvement. But I will admit watching the Eagles offense look completely hopeless without Wentz again and the grim reality my team has no chance in the playoffs....after being the best team in the league all year, had me in a pretty pissy mood. I probably took it out on him. Sorry cobalt. I was short on temper. My bad. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I didn't take issue with him discussing it. It's more the bad analysis. He had brought up the "we might get the same north trend as 12/8-9" several times even though myself and others have explaned this is a very different synoptic setup then that. He has imo made statements that somewhat exaggerate the amount of actual improvement seen run to run. He said 11 get accumulating snow to D.C.  That number only works if you include several trace amounts and it's not even clear the trace is from that storm. It's a stretch. There was a very slight improvement. But I will admit watching the Eagles offense look completely hopeless without Wentz again and the grim reality my team has no chance in the playoffs....after being the best team in the league all year, had me in a pretty pissy mood. I probably took it out on him. Sorry cobalt. I was short on temper. My bad. 

No worries! I agree that I was adding a couple members where I wasn't sure if they got the trace of snow from the storm or not. At this point, there's not much to track, so I'm trying my best to squeeze as much out as I can from this storm. Hopefully, Ralph Wiggum is right and we can take this storm home. 

No worries! I agree that I was adding a couple members where I wasn't sure if they got the trace of snow from the storm or not. At this point, there's not much to track, so I'm trying my best to squeeze as much out as I can from this storm. Hopefully, Ralph Wiggum is right and we can take this storm home. 
Im not 100% in just yet but I like what I see and really trying to analyze things using a blend of real meteorology and model clues via their known biases. We could be in a much worse spot 90 hours out in all honestly.

I think @ this range we are obviously not going to see large scale changes. Models today are just too good today for that. However, there could certainly be enough energy rounding the base of the trough where there could be some decent precip forming along the coast of the East Coast like we are seeing on the EURO/CMC. The GFS tends to struggle with QPF placement. So once again while I think it is obviously game set match for the main low to shift W in any major way we could def see improvements with that moisture along the coast with amount & placement. This could put Eastern locations in the game, especially the coast. 

Anyone want to road trip to Nova Scotia? 

14 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Lol the NAVGEM

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_fh78-114.thumb.gif.19cdc41d7cb4154a0c7e85b050bfba1d.gif

Tries to give us snow then completely clips SE New England. I love it. 

Ha.  Well DCA getting big snow and BOS not isn’t too rare.  The very rare one is DCA and BOS getting 6 inches or more of snow and NYC not.  Only two storms have ever done that and they occurred in the same year.  Late January 87 and 11/11/87. 

Bluewave, a poster in the New York Metro subforum, mentioned that surface low pressures usually form near the 1000-500mb height contour. I checked with quite a few past storms on Ray Martin's winter storms site and saw that it's true.  In this storm's case the low pressure center forms quite far east of this line off Florida. Don't know why but maybe something to watch. I wsh this map was on TT. I went to the NWS model site to look at it.

Edit:  I should have mentioned it's the 520mb line.

Edit: 540 not 520.  I'm brain dead

I like where we are with this storm. It might miss us for sure. But it would be more painful if we were in the bullseye right now and lost it as we move closer to game time. Maybe a record number awake for the Euro considering it’s NYE and a storm is still a possibility albeit a small one. Need to keep the trend going

54 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol...what’s your excuse for the other days the eagles haven’t been playing? BTW the game today didn’t really mean anything, so not worth gettin pissy over.

The kid is pretty passionate about weather and extremely intelligent, so although it may not happen I cetainly enjoy his perspective. Instead of crapping on his thoughts, just appreciate his passion or ignore.

25 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I bet we see one run where this thing does a Sandy

I hope so. In reality there has only been one run that really put us in the game and it was when the euro closed off h5 south of us. That was a flash in the pan unfortunately. I haven't seen a single op or ensemble run since that looked like we stand a chance west of the bay. The ingredients aren't there. 0z tonight needs some big changes. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I hope so. In reality there has only been one run that really put us in the game and it was when the euro closed off h5 south of us. That was a flash in the pan unfortunately. I haven't seen a single op or ensemble run since that looked like we stand a chance west of the bay. The ingredients aren't there. 0z tonight needs some big changes. 

Actually,  there were 2 runs with the second the best.

15 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Lol...what’s your excuse for the other days the eagles haven’t been playing? BTW the game today didn’t really mean anything, so not worth gettin pissy over.

The kid is pretty passionate about weather and extremely intelligent, so although it may not happen I cetainly enjoy his perspective. Instead of crapping on his thoughts, just appreciate his passion or ignore.

It matters when the starters were in and in conjunction with looking like crap last week too. I said I was sorry what more do you want?  And not sure what other times your talking about. This was the first time I ever got pissy with Cobalt. 

19 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

This was the first time he got into an argument with me. That's totally fine. First time I've seen him get pissy. Either way, this storm is a long shot, and he's being realistic saying that it's a long shot. 

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It matters when the starters were in and in conjunction with looking like crap last week too. I said I was sorry what more do you want?  And not sure what other times your talking about. This was the first time I ever got pissy with Cobalt. 

I've been an Eagles fan my whole life. Hopefully they win one playoff game this year but it looks like it will have to be against probably New Orleans. Luckily New Orleans doesn't like to play Outdoors. And neither did Dallas or Philadelphia today. Keep hope alive PSU.

There was a poster in the NYC metro subforum quite a few years back with the screen name yanksfan (since changed).  He was very enthusiastic when he first joined and at one point I counted up his posts and in a one day period 75-80% of the post were his.  Needless to say he got a lot of negative feedback.  He has calmed down since then.   Just sayin. 

42 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Actually,  there were 2 runs with the second the best.

True. Only one that closed off h5 south of us. That's the only type of solution that makes it easy to work here. Progressive trough with no block and well east of where we want only works if it doesn't dig so much. I don't think there is a single event without a block, close off, or big negative tilt where a storm is born off the coast of FL and gives us snow. There might be one but I can't think of a single case. 

1 minute ago, Potvinsux said:

There is no 'trend' west here.... come on now, it's not happening.  I want it too but writing is on the wall.

Compared to 24, 48 hours, the models have certainly trended West with this system. Not West enough to say that we are getting snow for sure, but closer. If the 0z Suite comes in even 25+ miles West, we are very much in the game. If you were to ask me if DC was getting snow right now, I would say no, but that's due to 12z and a bit of 18z guidance. 0z runs could very much continue West trend, or trend East. All I know right now is that the GFS tends to suppress storms, and seems to get this right at least 25% of the time, with an example of it suppressing a storm being the Christmas day storm last week, where the Euro was much farther NW. Eventually, it caved NW within 96 hours of the event. We are very much in the game. Maybe not a whole lot, but we are on the line. 0z suite will be very interesting 

18 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Compared to 24, 48 hours, the models have certainly trended West with this system. Not West enough to say that we are getting snow for sure, but closer. If the 0z Suite comes in even 25+ miles West, we are very much in the game. If you were to ask me if DC was getting snow right now, I would say no, but that's due to 12z and a bit of 18z guidance. 0z runs could very much continue West trend, or trend East. All I know right now is that the GFS tends to suppress storms, and seems to get this right at least 25% of the time, with an example of it suppressing a storm being the Christmas day storm last week, where the Euro was much farther NW. Eventually, it caved NW within 96 hours of the event. We are very much in the game. Maybe not a whole lot, but we are on the line. 0z suite will be very interesting 

Even with me diving heavy into Imperial Stout world right now, I’m with you!  If tomorrow looks like crap, we’ll move on. All good. We’ll get ours at some point...2023. LOLz. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived