Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

The call is based on 10mb geopotential height propagating to the 500mb level, so the call is more for Greenland ridging/blocking than the actual NAO which is sea level pressure difference in the eastern Atlantic. I do think the NAO will average negative for DJF because of Atlantic SSTs this past May-Sept. 

Do you know of any association with the NAO, ( going more negative in Jan., Feb and maybe even March ) that is associated with changes in the seasonal wavelenghts?

Long vs short as we dive deeper into Jan and Feb . I heard about the Atlanitc SST profile you speak of, and looking ahead to use that in predicting the DJF NAO states.

I believe there was also a tool developed by Al Martino ( spelling ? )  few years ago, but if memory serves me correctly , he used that tool and predicted a - NAO in DJF a couple winters back and at least during that winter the NAO did not cooperate. 

I know Isotherm and Benchmark both were thinking in thier winter outlooks an assist from a - NAO in late Dec. or early Jan , but both felt the NAO would not average negative this winter , ( more info within the wintder outlooks they have posted here on America Weather ) I am looking forward to see how things shake out.      

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

These subtle run to run changes at h5 may seen noteworthy, but ultimately I doubt its going to get to a point where it gets it done for our region. I agree with Mitch. Without a second, tucked-in low, its hard to see how we get any significant precip here.

It’s still a pretty messy phase with pieces of energy pushing everything east.  We need a full clean phase south of us for any shot and I don’t think anything has showed that in the last 2 days of runs minus the UKIE

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

These subtle run to run changes at h5 may seen noteworthy, but ultimately I doubt its going to get to a point where it gets it done for our region. I agree with Mitch. Without a second, tucked-in low, its hard to see how we get any significant precip here.

It's the only way it happened on the runs that showed a hit regardless of the model.

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Another miss. No double barreled low,  no chance. Seems that simple. 

Yeah, but I doubt the development depicted on the gfs is how it unfolds. It seems to want to throw all the energy into one system. But that doesn't mean that if it ends up being different, that it is good for us. 

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

These subtle run to run changes at h5 may seem noteworthy, but ultimately I doubt its going to get to a point where it gets it done for our region. I agree with Mitch. Without a second, tucked-in low, its hard to see how we get any significant precip here.

They're noteworthy for New England, and maybe NYC. Not enough for us. The only analog I can think of is January 2000, and that had trailing energy that really helped expand the precip field westward. I don't see that in this case. Not in time for us. Hope I'm wrong. 

5 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Another miss. No double barreled low,  no chance. Seems that simple. 

Yes because the western low in double barrel scenario is the redevelopment as the upper level energy dives in. It then pulls everything due north. If the initial low that runs out is all there is it's way OTS. That's not getting pulled back in. 

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

These subtle run to run changes at h5 may seem noteworthy, but ultimately I doubt its going to get to a point where it gets it done for our region. I agree with Mitch. Without a second, tucked-in low, its hard to see how we get any significant precip here.

That's where I ended up last night. If I lived in SNE I'D be pretty excited. We're a lot further south and a good bit further west than that area. Not one single piece of guidance shows the parts necessary to get west of the bay in the game and the general upper level setup remains hostile for that to happen.

If I lived in your neck I would be interested enough in getting into the outer edges of precip as the low passes our latitude. I could see your yard getting a couple inches. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived