joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite sure what to think.  As many have pointed out, the setup is more complicated than our usual snowstorms and certainly favors NE of here.  However, the Ukie has definitely been known to sniff out a westward threat regarding east coast cyclogenesis earlier than other models.  However, it also has been known to over-amp things in the midrange. Maybe someone can pull a little Jan 2000 mojo and get this thing to develop further west then move up the coast.

I wasn't a fan of the eps or gefs. I suppose you could make the case of the herd behavior due to shorter leads but the ukie is the only model showing a flush hit and very few ens solutions look like it. We're pretty close in time as well. 

On the other hand, a neg tilt phase will cause a significant jump in track if it's real so this isn't one that "ticks nw". It either phases or it doesn't. Without at least a partial phase there's not nearly enough room in front of the trough for a storm to take a classic track. 

We'll  know the answer by the 12z runs tomorrow. Pretty sure about that. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I wasn't a fan of the eps or gefs. I suppose you could make the case of the herd behavior due to shorter leads but the ukie is the only model showing a flush hit and very few ens solutions look like it. We're pretty close in time as well. 

On the other hand, a neg tilt phase will cause a significant jump in track if it's real so this isn't one that "ticks nw". It either phases or it doesn't. Without at least a partial phase there's not nearly enough room in front of the trough for a storm to take a classic track. 

We'll  know the answer by the 12z runs tomorrow. Pretty sure a about that. 

Dude...you're wife is calling

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Keep hearing this storm will have to back in from the east by quite a bit. I think that is a false assumption. If this plays out the way the models are now suggesting is a possibility, chances are good we see a storm form off the SE coast and ride up North just off the coast.

Exactly, the storm hasn't even formed yet. If this storm forms where we wanted to it will form and ride right up the coast. No real backing in once the storm forms.

Well I finally kicked the energy out of here after 22" of snow in 48 hours.

You're welcome.

NAM looks very promising, that position would be ideal for a coastal trek, but at the moment if I had to put money on a track I would say a little east of ideal, will need some sort of complex secondary hangback to get a great result for MidAtlantic.

NYC, Long Island and New England can almost count on a blizzard now. NJ-ePA-Delmarva 50/50 and BWI-DCA 30/70 are my odds. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived