Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

This will end up being a very strong and persistent thaw, nearly equalling the very cold 2 week period.

I guess that's one way to get a near normal month. We could see the exact scenario play out in February with the first half averaging well above normal with a very cold second half to produce another near normal month. 

The whole first half is not going to be well above normal. The arrival of the cold keeps getting pushed forward. You may have a couple warm days to start but the thaw is over before we have time to set up Big positive departures 

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

3 weeks of warmth erasing a cold snap and we're looking towards second week of February.

Second week of February is nice, but normal highs start to increase, days start getting noticeably longer, March comes up quick.

February usually produces some nice snows (sometimes March does too), but the end is in sight. Everyone loves to mention 2015...but that was the extreme of extremes. 

Heck, last March gave us our only real snow followed by prolonged cold event. 

Long story short, those are blips as the season pulls away from you. Winter is far from over, but this is the heart of it now. 55 in the heart really hurts.

March was not the month for snow last year at the coast. The January and February storms were far larger...

February is by far our snowiest month for the city and coast. Introduce sustained cold and chances are very high we see serious snow.

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

March was not the month for snow last year at the coast. The January and February storms were far larger...

February is by far our snowiest month for the city and coast. Introduce sustained cold and chances are very high we see serious snow.

Always thought the difference was greater but using BNL's numbers 1947 to present Jan. averages 9.42" and Feb 10.84".   Feb still the snowiest but smaller difference than I would have guessed.

we are having a classic January thaw ...this winter should have a classic second half...this thaw reminds me of January 1974...It had a mild last ten days of January...The second half of winter was similar to the first half...Feb. was cold...the biggest snowfall of the year came on the 8th...we shall see...

7 minutes ago, uncle W said:

we are having a classic January thaw ...this winter should have a classic second half...this thaw reminds me of January 1974...It had a mild last ten days of January...The second half of winter was similar to the first half...Feb. was cold...the biggest snowfall of the year came on the 8th...we shall see...

With the PDO+ and forecast PNA+ (unlike February 1974's PDO- and PNA- during the first half of the month), my guess is that February 2018 will likely see more snowfall than February 1974 (9.4"). Moreover, as a number of La Niña-PDO+ winters have seen 10" or greater snowstorms in the NYC area, prospects for such a storm in February are probably higher than climatology. The highest risk of such a storm might coincide with the period when the MJO goes into Phase 8.

18 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I remember that Feb 8th snowstorm, it was a Friday, I was in Madison HS in Brooklyn and heard that the storm to our south could not pierce the strong High pressure over us. It came in at about 9AM lasted 6 hours and we had a quick 6 inches.

3 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

With the PDO+ and forecast PNA+ (unlike February 1974's PDO- and PNA- during the first half of the month), my guess is that February 2018 will likely see more snowfall than February 1974 (9.4"). Moreover, as a number of La Niña-PDO+ winters have seen 10" or greater snowstorms in the NYC area, prospects for such a storm in February are probably higher than climatology. The highest risk of such a storm might coincide with the period when the MJO goes into Phase 8.

NYC just missed a 10" snowfall in late February 1974...Freehold NJ got 10"...there are many examples of February having a cold and or snowy period after a good January thaw...1967 comes to mind..,.the ao and pna were favorable for the Feb blizzard...after that the ao remained positive but the snow kept coming...

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

I remember that Feb 8th snowstorm, it was a Friday, I was in Madison HS in Brooklyn and heard that the storm to our south could not pierce the strong High pressure over us. It came in at about 9AM lasted 6 hours and we had a quick 6 inches.

that was a great positive bust...

5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We had a major storm on the 13th. Sustained cold from 11-16. It was the only storm last year with sustained cold and snow cover. Every other storm started melting the day after it fell. IMO, That week in March was the only true winter-feeling week in the 2016-2017 season

2 hours ago, sferic said:

On March 29th, 1974 also a Friday, there was another storm that was not suppose to be that deposited 4 inches of snow.

I was watching temperatures drop that day while it was raining...I thought it was going to change to snow and it did...I drove to the Poconos that night (I was the only car on the road) and they got 10" from that event...even April had a little snow on a record cold morning in 1974...

46 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I was watching temperatures drop that day while it was raining...I thought it was going to change to snow and it did...I drove to the Poconos that night (I was the only car on the road) and they got 10" from that event...even April had a little snow on a record cold morning in 1974...

Awhile back you posted the dates and amounts for the snows for the winter of 1966-67, if possible can you repost or send it to me as a message? Thanks !

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The whole first half is not going to be well above normal. The arrival of the cold keeps getting pushed forward. You may have a couple warm days to start but the thaw is over before we have time to set up Big positive departures 

There were indications by several Mets that a prolonged cool down would start after Feb 10 to even as late as Feb 15. 

That would give us plenty of days to rack up very positive departures. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Feb 1-14 period average 4+ degrees.

But because of that delay, the winter spell could last from Feb 15-March 10. 

18 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

There were indications by several Mets that a prolonged cool down would start after Feb 10 to even as late as Feb 15. 

That would give us plenty of days to rack up very positive departures. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Feb 1-14 period average 4+ degrees.

The trough is back between the 3rd and the 5th no later 

We will rack up 3 days of AN

56 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

IMO, the trough will return near or just after the end of the first week in February. Further, the transition will take place during the first week and, the AO- among other factors, will allow for enough cooler air to avoid the first week’s being a genuine “torch.”

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

It’s possible there is an initial shot 2/2-2/5 then it moderates again before cooling back off around the 10th-12th.  The GEFS has sort of shown a rebound after the initial cool down and the MJO not yet being into phase 8 until around 2-10 may support that idea.  It’s somewhat tough to trust the GEFS as they’ve had a tendency this winter to try and dump those trofs too far west 

5 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It’s possible there is an initial shot 2/2-2/5 then it moderates again before cooling back off around the 10th-12th.  The GEFS has sort of shown a rebound after the initial cool down and the MJO not yet being into phase 8 until around 2-10 may support that idea.  It’s somewhat tough to trust the GEFS as they’ve had a tendency this winter to try and dump those trofs too far west 

The moderation isn't real. That's feedback.

- EPO HP does not dump the trough into the W.

The ridge is a fallacy,  it's a byproduct of a W trough that doesn't exist

The EPS shows you the W ridge. The trough is in well before the 10th

Through January 23, New York City has had a mean temperature of 30.2°. That is 2.2° below normal. At this point, it appears likely that NYC will have its first colder than normal December-January pair since winter 2010-11. There is an approximate 53% probability that January’s anomaly will exceed 0.5° below normal. All said, January 2018 will be the coldest January since 2015 when the month had an average temperature of 29.9°.

With prospects that February could also wind up colder than normal, winter 2017-18 could be the first winter since 2009-10 to have cold anomalies in all three months of meteorological winter.

New York City’s Average Temperature Through:

1/23: 30.2° (2.2° below normal)
1/25: 30.4°-30.6° (1/23 estimate: 30.2°-30.7°)
1/31: 31.1°-32.5° (1/23 estimate: 31.2°-32.7°)

Per aggressive sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of a below normal monthly anomaly: 60% (1/23 estimate: 57%)

10 hours ago, sferic said:

Awhile back you posted the dates and amounts for the snows for the winter of 1966-67, if possible can you repost or send it to me as a message? Thanks !

12/13-14...trace....snow and rain mixed...

12/20-21.....1.2"...snow to rain to snow...

12/24-25.....7.1"...snow to sleet to snow...

12/28-29.....0.8"...snow to heavy rain...

1/19............0.3"...light snow...

1/29............0.3"

1/31............0.3"

2/6..............2.7"

2/7............12.5"

2/10............2.0"

2/18............1.8"

2/21..........trace...mixed...

2/23............3.8" wet snow...

2/27-28.......0.9" wet snow...

3/5..............2.0" snow to heavy rain...

3/15-16.......2.6" rain to sleet to snow...

3/17............3.0" very cold...

3/21-22.......9.8" wet snow...

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/lcd/lcd.html?_page=1&state=NY&stationID=94728&_target2=Next+%3E

Archived