Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Definitely could see a snow threat materialize next week, they always seem to come before a pattern shift. Nice PNA spike, AO/NAO marginally negative.

We have transient blocking on the 12z GFS so something may materalize around the 17th , after that it’s very warm for about a week.  The GFS wants to bring back the +PNA at the end of the run and shows a huge trough In the east.  To be honest this warm up is going to feel great ..but how long it lasts is the question.

2 days of a cutter induced 60 is a real possibility followed by another cold shot next week.

I would add 5 degrees to all of these temps / which would still give you a real BN cold shot.

If blank, model image not available

Finally twice this year the full latitude ridge has paid off , so watch the backside of the departing trough next week

gfs_z500a_nhem_30.png

27 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

2 days of a cutter induced 60 is a real possibility followed by another cold shot next week.

I would add 5 degrees to all of these temps / which would still give you a real BN cold shot.

Finally twice this year the full latitude ridge has paid off , so watch the backside of the departing trough next week

I was mentioning in the other thread that the time around the 17th will be a chance for some type of snow event with the -NAO/+PNA. But plenty of mild temps, rain, and snow melt into the weekend. After the 17th, we get the more typical La Nina Western Trough/Eastern Ridge pattern for a while.

The Euro is pretty unstable Friday night as well. Close to 1000 J/KG of SBCAPE over Eastern sections. Would like to see that jet max over Western VA and PA instead of overhead, as SLP develops overhead instead of just to our Southwest. Still we're talking about several inches of rain, more East.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Both the GFS and Euro have PWATS near or above record levels for January Friday into Saturday. Not a good combination of snow melt, mild temps, and heavy rain for flood prone basements.

That's why, like you mentioned, I'm hoping we can chip away at the snowcover before Friday. Today definitely made a dent.

51 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Euro has a moderate snow event next Tuesday/Wednesday as does the GFS. Canadian had also shown something around that time previous runs

What the ECMWF and GFS are showing for the 17th provides an illustration as to why one should not automatically assume that a strongly negative PNA pattern will bring unbroken warmth and an absence of snowfall to the region. The other teleconnections, especially the AO, matter. The data from yesterday are worth restating.

For the January 1-31, 1981-2010 period, here’s select data for New York City:

All cases:
Mean temperature: 33.0°
% days with measurable snowfall: 13.0%

PNA of -0.75 or below:
Mean temperature: 38.4°
% days with measurable snowfall: 4.3%

PNA of -0.75 or below and an AO < 0:
Mean temperature: 33.4°
% days with measurable snowfall: 8.3%

The ECMWF and GFS are in pretty good agreement that there will be frequent AO- values that accompany the PNA- values. That means transient cold shots will occur within the larger period of warmth. Should storm systems be timed just right, there will be possibilities for snowfall.

Not surprisingly, I don’t think the NYC area has seen its last accumulating snowfall this month. I suspect that there will be at least 1-2 additional measurable snow events. The modeled event for around the 17th is a reasonable candidate for one such event.

Never saw this before   

Short Term Forecast

Short Term Forecast
National Weather Service New York NY
218 PM EST TUE JAN 9 2018

CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ069>075-078>081-176>179-092115-
Southern Middlesex-Southern Fairfield-Northern New Haven-Southern New
London-Northern Fairfield-Northern New London-Northern
Middlesex-Southern New Haven-Hudson-Western Union-Western
Passaic-Eastern Bergen-Eastern Union-Eastern Essex-Western
Bergen-Western Essex-Eastern Passaic-Southwest Suffolk-Northern
Nassau-Southern Queens-Bronx-Northeast Suffolk-Southern
Nassau-Rockland-Kings (Brooklyn)-Northern Queens-Northwest
Suffolk-Southeast Suffolk-Southern Westchester-New York
(Manhattan)-Richmond (Staten Is.)-Northern Westchester-
218 PM EST TUE JAN 9 2018

...Clear skies and snow cover resulting in intense sun glare late
this afternoon...

The sun sets to the west southwest or 240 degrees this afternoon at
approxiately 440 PM over eastern sections and 450 PM over western.

43 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I think places that received 6" or less should be fine. Thursday looks mild enough to get rid of most of it. Also the rain seems to come in 2 waves

Yeah I agree. Between tomorrow and Thursday a good deal should be gone (excluding areas that really got a thumping).

16 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah I agree. Between tomorrow and Thursday a good deal should be gone (excluding areas that really got a thumping).

even here, we lost a good 3-4 inches today.    I bet we are down to 4-5 inches before we even see a drop of rain.  Just piles will remain by late Saturday.

After a Historic cold stretch we will find a very warm 3 day period this weekend where 60 may occur twice in and around NYC , but that is followed by 5 days of BN temps.

NewEuro2.png.fa180d93ded9e723d486911c4e376144.png

If the EPS MJO is right , the warm up following the 20th would get muted.

unnamed(1).gif

If the GFS is right , we go into phase 4 and 5 and we break for 2 weeks until Feb 5th. 

The AO will be negative during this time and will inject HP into the pattern on either side of a few cutters. 

Plus 5 in mid and late Jan , means you are in low to mid 40`s  ( Not a torch )  which is very different if that happened in early December.

There your temps would soar into the low and mid 50`s. 

Archived