Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Brasiluvsnow said:

Billy isn't there a good chance that this is going to go back and forth a couple of times on the models before next week ? I mean I think it was Bernie R  that said said out to sea right now would not be a bad place to be or that he expected that 

Were caught up in crazy euro runs..good signal for storm, follow the runs, but don’t give weight till about 3-4 days out..even then it’s iffy

4 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Were caught up in crazy euro runs..good signal for storm, follow the runs, but don’t give weight till about 3-4 days out..even then it’s iffy

Obviously you give more weight to the Euro and especially it's ensembles but as of now, there's just a storm signal.  No one should be reading anymore into it.   

That’s why I don’t post here as much, it’s senseless over analyzing and getting into snow/no snow debates with people when models are hot trash...euro says storm because of blank...gfs is ots because of blank..that should be the end of discussion this far out lol...trying to guess is foolish 
N day before also!

GEFS west of Op, but still a complete miss. I think we should be insightful about our approach of extremes. I actually was not as enthused to see the 947 mb mean on the EPS because it takes away from the credibility of the run. We will not have a sub-970 my low sitting south of LI ( maybe sub-980). Some might call it a strong signal, but I consider it a strong outlier. My main concern is that we are relying on a very intense LP to pump up the downstream ridging, ultimately leading to a more western solution. This is where an understanding of basic Synoptics is important. I think that this system rapidly intensifies too late in the game to create such a westward track. I also think that it is too risky to rely on the transient ridging near Newfoundland. I put a 20% chance of NYC receiving measurable precip from this system.

31 minutes ago, Enigma said:

GEFS west of Op, but still a complete miss. I think we should be insightful about our approach of extremes. I actually was not as enthused to see the 947 mb mean on the EPS because it takes away from the credibility of the run. We will not have a sub-970 my low sitting south of LI ( maybe sub-980). Some might call it a strong signal, but I consider it a strong outlier. My main concern is that we are relying on a very intense LP to pump up the downstream ridging, ultimately leading to a more western solution. This is where an understanding of basic Synoptics is important. I think that this system rapidly intensifies too late in the game to create such a westward track. I also think that it is too risky to rely on the transient ridging near Newfoundland. I put a 20% chance of NYC receiving measurable precip from this system.

Very realistic prediction for NYC. This is a long shot for sure. DT had a pretty good video about it highlighting what it would take for the system to be West and not just hit Long Island/SE New England

46 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The mean wasn't 947mb.  The low res control was.   The mean was 1002mb.  A storm signal is there on all the ensembles but the means are definitely all east of where we would want it.   It very well may end up too far east for us.  6 days to go.  We'll see. 

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

Wow, nothing like a Euro miss right after a Euro crush to deaden the enthusiasm 

The EPS mean only shifted about 150 miles east which isn't that much this far out. The UKMET came west similar to the 12Z OP Euro. But I am not sure if it's just a run behind whatever the OP Euro is doing which sometimes other models do. Phasing is a very complex process and often favors the Eastern half of LI and New England or the Canadian Maritimes over areas further west. Sometimes we get luckier like Feb 2013. But other times Atlantic Canada cashes in like it did with White Juan in 2004.

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Things are way too progressive, we really may escape this cold period without anything to show for it. Even the clipper has dried up to practically nothing. 

But then again how can models even be trusted when they shift hundreds of miles every run.

14 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Wow, nothing like a Euro miss right after a Euro crush to deaden the enthusiasm 

there is going to be swings back and forth in the models as usual - I think its a better idea to focus on the 500mb maps right now and not pay as much attention to the surface maps

Last nights Euro was a timing issue. That lead shortwave that I spoke about yesterday is even further out ahead of the trough. Secondly, that piece is a lot stronger than the previous 00z run. This is why yesterday I said models might struggle with what pieces to focus on and that we could see some major swings. 

sketched_5a4643745834e.png

Here is that initial piece which develops the surface low

sketched_5a4643cb5bae3.png

As you can see, it eventually phases in, but it's way too late

sketched_5a4644320ea1e.png

Now look at yesterday's 12z run of the Euro and you can see the timing difference. The phase is already starting to occur and you end up with a triple phaser.

sketched_5a4645f3f3519.png

sketched_5a464645650c7.png

All those pieces coming together produces one of the most beautiful depictions at H5 you'll ever see. As the 00z run showed however, it's a delicate setup.

5a4646d21d6ed.png

Archived