• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Bottom image is GGEM

topmis RGEM

rgem runs 4 times a day and goes out 5 days now I guess

ggem runs 2 times and goes out 10 days 

right i get that, but why does it say initialized at 18Z, 66 hrs puts it at the exact same ending time. I understood it to be exactly what you are saying, but that doesnt match up to what i am seeing...

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

So can you explain the two, clearly different, images i posted. They are both init. at 18Z, one says RDPS and one says GDPS.

Ahhh I see what your saying... that I cannot explain lol... I have no idea what those crazy Canadians are doing 

just go with the snowier one lol and call it good

6 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Can someone with knowledge of the RGEM/GGEM please explain what the hell is going on with that model and how it works. I'm beyond confused. I was under the impression that the GGEM only runs twice a day, but UQAM has it 4X with 6Z and 18Z runs.

I just checked the GGEM 18Z and it is clearing different than what was posted above for the 18Z RGEM. So the GGEM is running 4X a day now?

Another thing, the RGEM only shows out to 48hrs on the UQAM site but clearly it goes to 84 (every run?) so how do you get those panels??

Ggem  runs out to 84hrs at 06z and 18z. Meteocentre.com. it's called the gdps.

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

Yes. Like I said GGEM was east at 18z. I get in the habit of calling it the CMC because that's what it's labeled as on tropicaltidbits. My apologies. 

No ur good, but people sometimes think they’re 2 different models... it’s calle the CMC/GEM/GGEM LOL so confusing for someone trying to follow or learn lol

7 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Here is the closest analog for this weeks potential storm

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2000/25-Jan-00.html

DT actually just referenced this storm in his latest video. What caused the storm to go up the coast was the northern shortwave diving south past the southern vort. The phase never occurred and caused the storm to ride the coast. If it did phase the northern shortwave would have acted as a kicker and brought the storm OTS.

21 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Here is the closest analog for this weeks potential storm

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2000/25-Jan-00.html

Easily my favorite storm ever because for my area this was supposed to whiff. Was living in Ellicott City (20 minutes W of Baltimore) at the time. Bob Ryan for NBC Local gave it a 20% chance of riding the coast but just looking at the radar the night before it looked to be headed right for us. Woke up to my dad saying it was like a blizzard outside. Cue Ode to Joy. 

2 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Easily my favorite storm ever because for my area this was supposed to whiff. Was living in Ellicott City (20 minutes W of Baltimore) at the time. Bob Ryan for NBC Local gave it a 20% chance of riding the coast but just looking at the radar the night before it looked to be headed right for us. Woke up to my dad saying it was like a blizzard outside. Cue Ode to Joy. 

Went from it being a whiff for Cape Cod to staring down the dry slot. Craziest 24 hour shift west I can remember besides maybe Boxing Day. 

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Can someone with knowledge of the RGEM/GGEM please explain what the hell is going on with that model and how it works. I'm beyond confused. I was under the impression that the GGEM only runs twice a day, but UQAM has it 4X with 6Z and 18Z runs.

I just checked the GGEM 18Z and it is clearing different than what was posted above for the 18Z RGEM. So the GGEM is running 4X a day now?

Another thing, the RGEM only shows out to 48hrs on the UQAM site but clearly it goes to 84 (every run?) so how do you get those panels??

You can manipulate the url of the rgem to 84 hours.  I had no idea the ggem ran 4 times a day until I saw it posted the other day and I'm still not even sure it does.   If you need an explanation on how to change the url properly for the rgem, PM me.  

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Went from it being a whiff for Cape Cod to staring down the dry slot. Craziest 24 hour shift west I can remember besides maybe Boxing Day. 

Boxing Day was conversely thrilling. Was at my Aunt's in LI the night before and had to drive back to DC to beat the storm. Few whiffs hurt more than leaving LI for DC, where the last-minute predictions of 10+ amounted to nary a flake. 

Anyway, just my two cents, this will be a similar event to Jan 2000/Boxing Day in that I don't even think sampling is going to rapidly induce model convergence. Seems like the GFS is gonna b and moan it's way back west but who knows how far. Very interesting Euro coming up tonight. 

24 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Well it was a letdown up here.....

another part of the puzzle is the ridge out west. its intensity plays a part in how some of the vorts dig into our developing eastern trough. there has been a trend towards higher heights in the west, which i think plays a part in why guiadance is also trending closer to the coast. for example:

4467F887-A352-40A9-A963-ECCBC7792545.gif.8802c2fa5e86c05308bc91e421c2c3a7.gif

water vapor imagery shows deep convection west of the baja, which certainly helps contribute to that ridge building, as does the potent cutoff kicking it off. 88CECF5C-9AA3-455A-99B9-D5D1CCA76D0A.gif.29f82d95bc2df63c8497b23c431da4a1.gif

that convection is over a pool of warmer than normal water and is not necessarily well-modeled. something to keep an eye on. 

another part of the puzzle is the ridge out west. its intensity plays a part in how some of the vorts dig into our developing eastern trough. there has been a trend towards higher heights in the west, which i think plays a part in why guiadance is also trending closer to the coast. for example:
4467F887-A352-40A9-A963-ECCBC7792545.gif.8802c2fa5e86c05308bc91e421c2c3a7.gif
water vapor imagery shows deep convection west of the baja, which certainly helps contribute to that ridge building, as does the potent cutoff kicking it off. 88CECF5C-9AA3-455A-99B9-D5D1CCA76D0A.gif.29f82d95bc2df63c8497b23c431da4a1.gif
that convection is over a pool of warmer than normal water and is not necessarily well-modeled. something to keep an eye on. 

This is interesting; what does it mean for us?

11 minutes ago, North and West said:

This is interesting; what does it mean for us?

i’m pointing out how complex this whole setup and the atmosphere in general is. a stronger ridge in the west = stronger jet maxes that help the vorticity dig deeper into the east. again, it’s just part of the puzzle. if you look at water vapor over north america, there are a crazy number of vorts at play. 

it appears to me there is an increasing risk for a high impact winter event for nearly the entire east coast. 

FYI, when it comes to the 18z SREFS, there is a big difference between the MBN ensemble members and ARW ones. As usual, the ARW ones are most aggressive. The ARW mean is 15.6" snow. The MBN is 3.4". The latter are typically more conservative. So, even when it comes to the SREFS, there's a lot of uncertainty (just as is the case with the global and mesoscale guidance right now).

Archived