Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Still swing out, that’s western precip  shield is pathetic lol

Look at H5, that pesky lead vort I spoke about days ago is causing that double barreled low. Once the phase completes and things consolidate, it pulls everything East with it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing that could save this is if it could close off a large ULL over the Deep South like that one Euro run had. No other runs have shown this occurring though. That big closed low would back the flow enough that you could drag that initial shortwave Northwest instead of Northeast.

1 minute ago, F5TornadoF5 said:

FWIW, Nam 3k had healthier precip shield to the west. 

8C3AB11B-5C31-49B9-9398-C5089A06FF7E.jpeg

Won’t matter in the end... that vortmax is robbing us...

how often do we see models nailing a storm this dynamic... this far out... unchanged really since we lost the big euro run...only reason I’ll hold out till tomorrow 12z/00z 

5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

how often do we see models nailing a storm this dynamic... this far out... unchanged really since we lost the big euro run...only reason I’ll hold out till tomorrow 12z/00z 

I agree

This is a tricky situation with alot of convection involved.

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I agree

This is a tricky situation with alot of convection involved.

I still have a gut feeling that this will be a bit like last March, not in terms of final track, but in that significant convection and latent heat release continue to pump heights more than models are showing, thus effecting a westward correction each run up to zero hour. With the obscene baroclinic environment and 50+mb pressure falls, I'd be surprised if this doesn't nestle in a bit closer (assuming sampling comes in with a strong northern stream tonight and the phasing progresses to plan). I still think there's more room to correct west than east with this. As I believe Will said in the NE forum mentioned the other day, probably a good thing we don't have a -NAO or this would retro in Jersey.

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I still have a gut feeling that this will be a bit like last March, not in terms of final track, but in that significant convection and latent heat release continue to pump heights more than models are showing, thus effecting a westward correction each run up to zero hour. With the obscene baroclinic environment and 50+mb pressure falls, I'd be surprised if this doesn't nestle in a bit closer (assuming sampling comes in with a strong northern stream tonight and the phasing progresses to plan). I still think there's more room to correct west than east with this. As I believe Will said in the NE forum mentioned the other day, probably a good thing we don't have a -NAO or this would retro in Jersey.

People want a negative nao but this isn't a good time to have one.

19 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Agreed too much has to go our way like yesterdays GEM. Phase too early moisture gets robbed.

17 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

guess I’ll go to my in laws down in myrtle for big snows... lmao

A67944DB-D9FD-4BAD-85FA-74AC047AD8E6.jpeg

Myrtle beacuh is most likely going to get sleet and freezing rain I doubt they get real snow out of this. This system is coming around watch the precip extend westward in the future rund. I honestly think cmc is the best model out there

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

6z RGEM (extended range: 60 hours - 84 hours):

RGEMExtended010120186z.jpg

RGEM nailed March 2017. Was first to really show that west track which turned 2 feet of SNOW in NYC to 3 inches and then a crap load of Sleet. Euro showed 2 feet of snow until 24 hours out on that one...

1 minute ago, North and West said:

One thing I need for clarification (and we need a quick Cliffs Notes' model guide), is this model trustworthy this far out? I forget which one is and which one is not.

I would be cautious about specific amounts. The bigger idea that there remain snowfall possibilities is the main takeaway.

Archived