Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

GEM is a New England special. Probably light event for NYC and MECS for E LI.

My eyes aren't the best but i think the 25mm line makes it into Nassau and 10 to just west of NYC.  Hard to tell though.  

And at day 5 that doesn't rather matter.  Big jump west by the CMC.

5 minutes ago, Rjay said:

My eyes aren't the best but i think the 25mm line makes it into Nassau and 10 to just west of NYC.  Hard to tell though.  

And at day 5 that doesn't rather matter.  Huge jump west by the CMC.

And looking beyond the details of where it snows, a huge storm blowing up off the east coast and that 486 partial thickness just north of the lakes ... brrrr!

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

And at day 5 that doesn't rather matter.  Big jump west by the CMC.

My point is this: we can hope that the shield moves west with future runs, but typically this sort of track  for NYC Metro does not bode well for heavy snows. For E LI, it may be a homerun. 

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

The current track maybe but its far from settled where the final track will be

Boy do I wish we had blocking/-NAO. That would take all my worries away. His point is very valid. Without that -NAO, it could only be an eastern LI and on east special with sun getting a glancing blow. Let’s see what the EURO has to say soon. It is still very early in the game. 

Just now, weatherfreeeeak said:

Boy do I wish we had blocking/-NAO. That would take all my worries away. His point is very valid. Without that -NAO, it could only be an eastern LI and on east special with sun getting a glancing blow. Let’s see what the EURO has to say soon. It is still very early in the game. 

Of course but 24 hours ago nobody was in the game

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

My point is this: we can hope that the shield moves west with future runs, but typically this sort of track  for NYC Metro does not bode well for heavy snows. For E LI, it may be a homerun. 

What track? The trends have been significantly west the last 24 hours. Still 5 days out but if intensifying low goes over benchmark then precip shield shifts west and NYC metro likely to see significant snow. 

1 minute ago, weatherfreeeeak said:

A transient block near NF would be all you need, the problem is the timing has to be perfect. 

4 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

What track? The trends have been significantly west the last 24 hours. Still 5 days out but if intensifying low goes over benchmark then precip shield shifts west and NYC metro likely to see significant snow. 

Again, historically (and you can look this up in KU) mid Lat cyclones developing SE of N MA typically spread SECS amounts in the NYC metro and MECS/HECS to New England. DEC 2000 is the one system I can recall where BOS went over to rain as the LP crossed the canal. 

If anything, SNE might not like that UK run due to the mid level tracks going too far west (dryslot). That looks like a Boxing Day  2010 outcome where deformation snow hung out over NJ, NYC and the Hudson Valley but east of there had dry air issues. 

Not taking anything verbatim of course but the ingredients are there for a real monster if it comes together right. 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The western low near the trough brings up some warm air with it. Not sure if it’s a real feature or not, the actual low might be more wrapped up in between the two low positions. 

NYC sees about 6 inches give or take on the GEM. 8 to 10 in Fairfield County CT. That's how close to the City.

The entire flow is more meridional and buckled on the ECMWF due to a stronger PNA ridge. This raises heights on the EC and provides a much more favorable path for the NS vort to enter. A stronger PNA ridge is absolutely critical in keeping the trough axis less progressive, and that is what we are seeing here. 

0AD98BB4-20B6-4775-875A-0D9C13A5008B.thumb.gif.2d45e19ea3290966a86dd58b7e1c4e80.gif

Archived