Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AJF0602 said:

Is this a deformation band setting up? The back edge stopped advancing we are getting absolutely ripped on right now jville. I just shoveled the sidewalk and in 15 minutes it already looked like I didn't shovel anything. Amazed at how hard its snowing right now.

there is some backside enhancement right now.  in an hour we could see a deform band intensify along the back edge.

16 minutes ago, AJF0602 said:

Is this a deformation band setting up? The back edge stopped advancing we are getting absolutely ripped on right now jville. I just shoveled the sidewalk and in 15 minutes it already looked like I didn't shovel anything. Amazed at how hard its snowing right now.

You are near the yellow and orange returns on radar. If you are all snow, congratulations you just jackpotted!  And yeah it does look like a deformation band.

24 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

You are near the yellow and orange returns on radar. If you are all snow, congratulations you just jackpotted!  And yeah it does look like a deformation band.

Its all snow here almost white out, I just went and took a video I'll post it to obs.

Fun storm to track. I know it was frustrating for a lot of us in the RDU area but we did end up with something (not as much as I was hoping when I started the thread...:D). I'm happy for our friends in the eastern part of NC. This is one hell of a storm for y'all.  Y'all still a have a while to go and there should be some good totals.  Enjoy!

Looking at the GFS/Euro/NAM from 72 hours out...the NAM was by the closest with the SLP track.  Not taking into account surface, just the track.  What happened to the Euro, can we revert back to the old Euro.

Here is what the Euro initialized the SLP for the 0z run this morning.

X4Q62nL.png

Here is NAM/GFS/Euro from 0z Jan 1 model runs.

N0kb12d.png

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

Wonder if we can make a run at sub zero temps Fri or Sat night with this deep snow cover.....it shouldnt melt much over the next few days...only the CMC suggest this is possible but most models has us 10 degrees to warm the last few nights before the storm.

I would say that subzero is maybe possible Saturday or even Sunday morning if snow cover remains but single digits are more likely.

Edit: just checked our forecast and they have us going down to 5F Sunday morning so below zero is definitely possible for you.

38 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Looking at the GFS/Euro/NAM from 72 hours out...the NAM was by the closest with the SLP track.  Not taking into account surface, just the track.  What happened to the Euro, can we revert back to the old Euro.

Here is what the Euro initialized the SLP for the 0z run this morning.

X4Q62nL.png

Here is NAM/GFS/Euro from 0z Jan 1 model runs.

N0kb12d.png

Euro ain’t what it used to be since the upgrade. It struggled mightily with this storm, as did the GFS, in not showing much qpf inland until about 24-30 hours out. Terrible performance by them. 

Last year Raleigh had the over performing warm nose that flipped us to mostly rain...this year we had the snowhole.  What will it be next...
3-6" just to our east, 3-6" just to our southwest.  
DSuGj9AW4AASCYl.jpg:large&key=3e9247721fc1f4f61d1f353f36310bcbf3db8dd51971428e96e2c73a7ab0e4fb
We definitely got more than what that map shows. Had another band of snow move through about an hour ago.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Last year Raleigh had the over performing warm nose that flipped us to mostly rain...this year we had the snowhole.  What will it be next...

3-6" just to our east, 3-6" just to our southwest.  

DSuGj9AW4AASCYl.jpg:large

Ive never seen a bigger screw job that watching radar last night before dinner I guess and snow circling Raleigh and then closing in. Craziest loop Ive ever seen in my life. Hopefully the tide will flip soon for you guys and for once you get an over perfomer.

I guess we will never just have a simple noreaster like we used to have. 21st century America is based on hype and it extends into all areas of life. This morning my barber who is a little old lady asked me about the "snow hurricane" that was moving up the coast.

CNN's version

"As the "bomb cyclone" ripped into the northeastern seaboard, pummeling New York City with snow and wind,"

ugh

1 hour ago, jburns said:

I guess we will never just have a simple noreaster like we used to have. 21st century America is based on hype and it extends into all areas of life. This morning my barber who is a little old lady asked me about the "snow hurricane" that was moving up the coast.

CNN's version

"As the "bomb cyclone" ripped into the northeastern seaboard, pummeling New York City with snow and wind,"

ugh

lol that's CNN for you. 

Archived