Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PackWxMan said:

I got shredded by the Moderator last night when I mentioned a warm nose....

That's because there is little warm nose and it quickly erodes when the CAA on the backside of the 850 low rushes in. The 3km NAM is the best model for those and it only shows a warm nose along the immediate coast at the beginning of the event.

5 minutes ago, Regan said:

That doesn’t seem right?! Heh?

Yes, I'm afraid it is.  All models are showing the dual low scenario with the farther offshore low taking over.  We essentially dry slot.  We can hope that's not correct, but it's hard to believe that every single model can be incorrect at this distance from the event in 2017.

1 minute ago, snowlover91 said:

That's because there is little warm nose and it quickly erodes when the CAA on the backside of the 850 low rushes in. The 3km NAM is the best model for those and it only shows a warm nose along the immediate coast at the beginning of the event.

Not here in ILM. The 3k still has a warm nose with the entire event almost done.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

I'm sure it's right, but the lack of precipitation here is just astonishing.  I'm serious.  I'm not sure I've seen this before.  But at least we get to experience new stuff.

nam3km_ref_frzn_seus_16.thumb.png.a3008caf619a3900d43c3fcd50e8e0c6.png

I've experienced virga many times. Give me 80* and sun instead.

12 minutes ago, PackWxMan said:

I got shredded by the Moderator last night when I mentioned a warm nose....

7 minutes ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

Not here in ILM. The 3k still has a warm nose with the entire event almost done.

Guys, seriously chill.... Let the damn thing play out before you go screaming warm nose this and that. You have an arctic air mass entrenched, along with crashing 850's as the storm gets going. Heavy rates will overcome. 

Anyone thinking we might get a very positive surprise?  980mb lows tracking Hatteras with locked in cold air....it doesn't get better than that.  I know the models are locked on the lack of moisture, but that just doesn't make any kind of logical sense with anything we've seen for two decades around here.  That oughta be a pipeline straight into eastern/central NC...

RAP (old school RUC) still looks pretty good and somewhat more realistic than the NAM. Overall I like the way the way the models have trended aloft since 00z, but the dry air per the latest soundings near RDU is the issue (skew t's show some insanely low Dewpoints around 800mb (-40C lol)).

1.png

24 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

12z 3kNAM lol - that can't be right - its not even depicting current conditions correctly at the start it looks to me. Dubious. It must have initialized wrong.

precisely here we are a 1430z I dare someone to show me a current surface map with a 1006 forming way out east like that

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_3.png

look you see that little convergence of NW and NE winds, thats our path of least resistance and guess what? That's the gulf stream

pchg (1).gif

Archived