SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

The best short range model is the rgem

My memory is bad but didn’t the NAM nail the storm in December when the RGEM missed it?  I know to ignore the Euro and GFS now but I thought that at the NAM was the most reliable at this time.

2 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

My memory is bad but didn’t the NAM nail the storm in December when the RGEM missed it?  I know to ignore the Euro and GFS now but I thought that at the NAM was the most reliable at this time.

The NAM nailed it

8 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

The rgem was spot on in my area. It's global partner the cmc was one of the best models in the medium range.

This storm is going negative. The Wave out west is catching up and in turn means we will see more precip in the western areas of GA, NC & SC. NWS-GSP has been mentioning this in their past couple olf updates as well. We are on the verge of seeing this thing explode. Correct? I am personally feeling the excitement building. 

2 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

This storm is going negative. The Wave out west is catching up and in turn means we will see more precip in the western areas of GA, NC & SC. NWS-GSP has been mentioning this in their past couple olf updates as well. We are on the verge of seeing this thing explode. Correct? I am personally feeling the excitement building. 

If it goes negative earlier than forecast then the precip shield would move closer to us before getting kicked out as it moves NNE

I feel like all my fave social media weather fans / mets are quiet. John Wall went all out on twitter last night... had too big of a dopamine release - prob sleeping or hung over from the excitement. 

Allan Huffman, the legend of the call maps, only tweeted once this AM, but in regards to North Florida's snow/ice.

Eric Webb - after dropping his map of all first call maps and small dissertation.... has been mildly quiet.

14 minutes ago, Wow said:

If it goes negative earlier than forecast then the precip shield would move closer to us before getting kicked out as it moves NNE

It appears to still be in a semi-neutral to negative @Wow? What are your thoughts on the radar, etc. Do you think we are more in the game now or is this just a tease, before reality sets in. Thanks in advance for any input.

WOW just WOW

I hope this is okay but I just copied and pasted this from the Southern Weather forums.

WxSouth

Batton down the hatches and hold on tight along the East Coast--This thing is about to enter full Beast Mode and is going to max out its energy all along the East Coast in rare fashion from Florida to Canada, slamming the Entire Eastern Seaboard of America, in a nearly once in a lifetime setup.

All ingredients are now coming together rapidly with tremendous energy aloft, in the warm waters and incredible barocliinic thermal boundary, with a tremendous negative tilt southern trough about to fully phase in a very unusual spot in the Southeast. The fully phased storm will bomb out as it rides north, up the entire east Coast, hugging the Coast and producing Blizzard Conditions from North Carolina to Maine as time goes by. Heavy snow and ice totals all the way to Florida and Georgia with the biggest snow and ice drop in Georgia to Florida in Decades.

The system is pulling further west, having an earlier head start than forecast in the northeast Gulf of Mexico and will rapidly intensify and expand through the eastern halves of the Carolinas and Virginia and now places more areas of the Piedmont in snow totals as well. But the blizzard portion should reside from eastern North Carolina, eastern Virginia and up the Eastern Seaboard late tonight and Thursday, with up to a foot of windswept snow, and possibly thundersnow and thundersleet episodes very near the immediate east coast at times, with increasing winds.
    If your area was expected to be on the western edge of the storm, pay close attention now and some forecasts have already been changed, many more are likely to be changed and includes some major metros like Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond and DC. This is a dynamite setup and the fuse has been lit, now it's wait and see.
    Following the storm, more intense cold comes well south, with below zero Wind Chills again as far south as Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas.

6 minutes ago, PackWxMan said:

I feel like all my fave social media mets at quiet. John Wall went all out on twitter last night... had too big of a dopamine release - prob sleeping or hung over from the excitement. 

Allan Huffman, the legend of the call maps, only tweeted once this AM, but in regards to North Florida's snow/ice.

Eric Webb - after dropping a his map of all first call maps and small dissertation.... has been mildly quiet.

These guys are watching the horses come around the final turn into  the home stretch. ---ie. If this thing goes neg tilt earlier---Then they will make their final calls for NC I suspect. Horses are racing quickly into that turn. Binoculars are up!

2 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

These guys are watching the horses come around the final turn into  the home stretch. ---ie. If this thing goes neg tilt earlier---Then they will make their final calls for NC I suspect. Horses are racing quickly into that turn. Binoculars are up!

LOL - I love it. As any true weather enthusiast (as 95% of us in here are) - I wish every man best of luck today. I am rooting for EVERYONE! There is no rivalry here. I am proud of how far we have come in the past 72 hours.

GODSPEED MY FRIENDS!

4 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

New NAM coming in stronger and more phasing it looks like, more negative tilt, should be a good run.

Nah, not the 12km at least. Underwhelming. It is a bit further west with the precipitation field, but nothing show-stopping so far.

Archived