Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I haven’t found one shred of evidence of ground truth to that radar in Southern Arkansas/Northern Louisiana.

One them sensitive radars...Like the intellicast radars.  I'm looking at a radar that I get from work and it's not showing that.

The RGEM is worrisome with the way those SLPs dance back and forth. That could really disrupt moisture transport. You get a precip max in GA/SW SC then as the western SLP transfers to the eastern SLP, you skip Myrtle Beach up through Wilmington, then another precip max in NE NC/SE VA. Also hurts the RDU folks and anyone I-95 and west.

Channel 5 is predicting a tenth of an inch of ice and at least 2-3” of snow. Channel 4’s model had Charleston with nearly 6”, but the prediction is still 2-3” north of downtown. 3+ Georgetown County. 1-2” other places. The Channel 2 prediction is 2-3” east of the Stono, 1-2” west. May have to be upped.

1 minute ago, AsheCounty48 said:

hrdps_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_33.png

Haven't looked at the HRDPS much since it doesn't have the SE component, but had to check this shot out. Absolutely gorgeous to see a 965 low off the coast like that. Reading rumors in the MA forum that the upper air charts of the GFS do support it possibly coming west even more.

This particular storm in this particular situation would, for reasons unknown, have to be located over upper Louisiana to get precipitation in here.  It’s sad, really, but it’s a beautiful storm on the models, once it gets cranking.

1 minute ago, neatlburbwthrguy said:

Just got to Waycross Ga.  Hunkered down here for the duration.  This looks to be a primo spot for Southeast Georgia.  Hearing anywhere from 4-7 inches of snow. Don’t think mixing will be a big issue.  Expect to stay mainly snow throughout.  

As a point of reference here, depending on which source you use 7" of snow in Waycross is equal to 35 to 70 years of their average snowfall.

14 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Haven't looked at the HRDPS much since it doesn't have the SE component, but had to check this shot out. Absolutely gorgeous to see a 965 low off the coast like that. Reading rumors in the MA forum that the upper air charts of the GFS do support it possibly coming west even more.

Massive low. Best wishes for everyone living near the east coast. Please stay safe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT this is ALL VIRGA? Really? This thing is looking more and more robust. Even GSP is starting to throw in some wording in their FD! I know that this is the Intellicast Radar and will get flamed for it, but i guess what i am trying to say is how is this translating to obs. Anyone reporting anything in those areas. If anything, this would help soften up the atmosphere for the big dawg?

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true

Archived