joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of the final outcome, let's all just take a minute to appreciate what a piece of crap the GFS is. That's a 200+ mile jump by the low pressure in one model cycle inside of 36 hours.

Obviously no storm for me but just wanted to chime in and say I'm rooting for all you guys on the coast. I want to see someone get 2 feet!

16 minutes ago, packbacker said:

And you can see why the 12km has the QPF min from ILM up to RDU.  SLP's consolidates the two into a new SLP so precip has to get going again.

I mentioned this in a post earlier.  The double barrel LP was killing the moisture on the western side.  It didn't really get going until it consolidated into one.

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

I meant a blend of NAM and RGEM

The RGEM and GFS are supported to an extent by the last EPS. (more eastern consolidated LP)  This may bet validated again in the wee hours by the 0z EPS run.  The NAM is kind of by itself right now. 3k especially. (western LP)

It's like the Bermuda Triangle there off the SE coast with all this cold air running into the Gulf Stream. Who the hell knows what is going to happen.  Good posts above by Pack and others about the dual lows.  To add to the mystery, most of this precip is dynamically driven on the NW side of the low as opposed to more predictable warm advection / overrunning precip.

Of note for the coastal communities from Savannah to Wilmington, both the GFS and Euro have 80-100% of the precip as snow.

For tomorrow, things get complicated and will be highly dependent on
the eventual track of coastal surface low. The 18Z NAM has remained
a western outlier, bringing pops as far west as GRD to CLT, whereas
the 18Z GFS/12Z ECMWF have kept pops hugging closer to the coast,
although they do bring very light qpf into the extreme southeast
corner of the forecast area (essentially Union County, NC). This
just goes to show the uncertainty in the northwestward extent of
that deformation axis. WPC official forecast has no QPF or snow
accum. For now, have brought in slight chance snow into portions of
Union County, but readers are cautioned to remember that as with any
weather event, this could change, and residents across the E/SE CLT
Metro area should check the forecast tomorrow morning before making
decisions for the day. Doubt that, in the end, anything significant
would fall but taking into account antecedent conditions, which are
very cold, it would only take a dusting to cause road problems.

from GSP

2 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

Looks like like its coming together fairly well. I think the models will come in line. Maybe not as widespread as we would like, but I suspect there will be a good pasting for some folks.

wrad_se_loop-3.gif

I just looked at radar and noticed this as well. It sure does look like radar is more moist than Hrrr is showing or any other model currently. Though some may be virga though. It sure does look better and better on radar. I have a feeling the qpf may reach more west than what people think. It will probably still find a way to screw us in ILM though lol. Who knows though.

Archived