Newest Member
    Dano62
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

I told you mid-week last week you were going to get 2 feet lol...

you did, you did......this is the point where I expect to go to bed and wake up in the morning to see totals slashed and some major change has occurred and pulled the rug out from under our storm...honestly I am thrilled with 4-6" lol so if we get anywhere near the NAM type totals I will be stunned. 

That 3km run was darn near blizzard conditions here and for sure blizzard conditions over the IBX/OBX and Va Capes......

0z RGEM is neg tilt around Appalachia Bay at 18hrs, similar to 18z at H5 +24, maybe a little bit more aggressive with energy entering the leading shortwave on the backside.  At 24hrs the H5 look is much more volatile compared to 18z, 3 southern vorts trying to hook up but not there. 18z was more consolidated with the package.

500hv.conus.thumb.png.970f228c59615f518bf61454eff1901e.png

55 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

No way that precip cuts off that sharp to the west... With the low that close to the coast,  I wont accept! lol

Screenshot_20180102-212517.png

You guys should go look back to past nor-easters that crushed the Northeast...typically when the low pressure is that deep, they have well defined snow shields that have a sharp cutoffs.

14 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

0z RGEM is neg tilt around Appalachia Bay at 18hrs, similar to 18z at H5 +24, maybe a little bit more aggressive with energy entering the leading shortwave on the backside.  At 24hrs the H5 look is much more volatile compared to 18z, 3 southern vorts trying to hook up but not there. 18z was more consolidated with the package.

You can see that on the surface map...the 3km and RGEM both have dual lows at hour 12-15 but the RGEM consolidates to the eastern SLP and the 3km consolidates to the western SLP.   

1F3TLsa.gif

LfvUJdW.gif

5 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

You guys should go look back to past nor-easters that crushed the Northeast...typically when the low pressure is that deep, they have well defined snow shields that have a sharp cutoffs.

Yep.  Just like hurricanes that run up the coast.  We see the cloud deck approaching the triad all day long but it never quite gets here.  As the storm moves north the clouds vanish in a matter of minutes.  This beast is gonna wind up nice and tight.  Cant wait to see where the gradiant lands.

Per WV, the s/w over the dakotas is diving pretty far south and so is the wave over Texas. These waves have continued to trend in that direction for days. This is what is key to an earlier phase and higher heights/ridging in the atlantic. The  ridging over western NA is impressive and I think the models could continue to play catch up w/ that.

sat_wv_us_loop.gif

Archived