Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

It's pretty clear this is trending towards a track along the gulf stream per the trends and the 3k NAM. That is BIG for the triangle.

If I didn't look at precip maps and just looked at the low placement etc I would've assumed the triangle got clobbered. I just don't see how that low in that position doesn't act like a firehose into central NC 

1 minute ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

If I didn't look at precip maps and just looked at the low placement etc I would've assumed the triangle got clobbered. I just don't see how that low in that position doesn't act like a firehose into central NC 

Well it's showing 8 inches for RDU. That's a good thumping. But I agree, i'm thinking the NAM is a little too dramatic w/ that cutoff. I would layer it out a litlte more like the GFS. It's nerve racking to be honest. Just sit and think for a moment that a 960MB is sitting just east of HAT on the NAM tomorrow night. Unreal. If we can just pull our heads out of the models azz for a sec and think about that, it's pretty crazy.

1 minute ago, BornAgain13 said:

Pack, do you think the NW shield is underdoing precip... NAM bias?

I do...I don’t ever remember a stout coastal that didn’t get the deform band a little NW of where it’s modeled.  This is one model...if the RGEM does this track then that would be more believable.  

The EPS has .1” to RDU, .2 to 95 and .3-.4 to PGV.  Hard to discount that.   But of course the EPS was 200 miles east of the 3km NAM with SLP track...maybe more.  

2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Well it's showing 8 inches for RDU. That's a good thumping. But I agree, i'm thinking the NAM is a little too dramatic w/ that cutoff. I would layer it out a litlte more like the GFS. It's nerve racking to be honest. Just sit and think for a moment that a 960MB is sitting just east of HAT on the NAM tomorrow night. Unreal. If we can just pull our heads out of the models azz for a sec and think about that, it's pretty crazy.

Yeah it's truly amazing. The radar presentation tomorrow should be insane. I can't wait to nowcast this sucker because this will be changing until hour zero.

7 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

I got one......normally I would be like yeah NAM whatever go home your drunk.....but almost all models have the ridiculously strong SLP and well I am starting to wonder if those kind of totals are doable....

I told you mid-week last week you were going to get 2 feet lol...

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I do...I don’t ever remember a stout coastal that didn’t get the deform band a little NW of where it’s modeled.  This is one model...if the RGEM does this track then that would be more believable.  

The EPS has .1” to RDU, .2 to 95 and .3-.4 to PGV.  Hard to discount that.   But of course the EPS was 200 miles east of the 3km NAM with SLP track...maybe more.  

As someone mentioned earlier, there is a massive virga storm going on in AR/LA right now. The air west of RAH is going to be super dry with TDs in the single digits to even below 0 the further west you get. I think the radar will tell one story WRT the western extent of the precip shield, but ground obs will tell another tale.

Archived