Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

^ It cut off out there in the Atlantic.  First time I've seen that.  3K ought to be fun.

That was the 6z run...the 12z was weaker, for whatever reason.  The track on the 12z was better, but the h5 low was weaker.  Why QPF was down I guess.  Still, will take it.

qpf_acc.us_ma.png

Sharp western edge is due to the dry air in place, the lack of overrunning GOM action beforehand to moisten the atmosphere, and the dynamically driven nature of the banding around a bombing SLP. There will a sharp cutoff somewhere in NC which will leave much weeping and gnashing of teeth on this board. One of these days you guys will trust uncle HKY.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

This may turn out to be one of the best H5 snowstorms we've ever had, while we watch a few flakes struggle to make it to the surface.  Looks good for the I-95 corridor so far.

It is interesting that meaningful precip is not making it inland....similar to the globals.  Thought based on that, PGV would be well over 1"QPF and they are right on the border.

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

That was the 6z run...the 12z was weaker, for whatever reason.  The track on the 12z was better, but the h5 low was weaker.  Why QPF was down I guess.  Still, will take it.

qpf_acc.us_ma.png

Yeah, I realized after I posted, I was looking at the 6z map on the bottom.  Still, a minor change.  Hopefully, the low position translates closer to the coast in future runs.  I still remain surprised at the lack of modeled QPF inland.  But, .2 should be good for about 3".

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah, I realized after I posted, I was looking at the 6z map on the bottom.  Still, a minor change.  Hopefully, the low position translates closer to the coast in future runs.  I still remain surprised at the lack of modeled QPF inland.  But, .2 should be good for about 3".

SLP's on the NAM's both shifted west a hair...just need some magic on getting QPF back to us.  The 3km track is usually perfect for our area.

refcmp_ptype.us_ma.png

3 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

The model takes into consideration Virga, that’s why we see no QPF west of RDU. Air is just too dry.

Yep, also I'm sure with us on the western fringe of the circulation we will also be fighting some sinking air so it's a double whammy. 

Archived