Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, thess said:

WRAL/Gardner says "possible" 1-4" Wednesday night.

Some warnings are up but east of I-95 only so far.

No, she said 1-4" are possible in the areas with the Winter Storm Watches in the eastern part of the state, which simply echose the text of the WS Watches themselves.

6 minutes ago, wake4est said:

No, she said 1-4" are possible in the areas with the Winter Storm Watches in the eastern part of the state, which simply echose the text of the WS Watches themselves.

I went and read that too. However, this is a change for wral who was saying nothing. Nada for Wake. Now she’s saying up to an inch.  Baby stepping maybe. Not gonna deviate til they have to. Lol

If you look closely at the meso models it appears they are developing an inverted trough over NC which may partially explain the vast difference in qpf. Globals rarely pick up on this and other mesoscale features that can significantly enhance qpf in a powerful storm like this. I would trust the meso models on this one, especially since we are well under 48 hours from the start and this is their bread and butter range. With all the meso models from the HDRPS, RGEM, ARW, NMM, SREF and 3km/12km NAM showing a good hit along and east of I-95 it's tough to go against them when they excel at this range.

6 minutes ago, Regan said:

I went and read that too. However, this is a change for wral who was saying nothing. Nada for Wake. Now she’s saying up to an inch.  Baby stepping maybe. Not gonna deviate til they have to. Lol

True, but then again the "up to an inch" part is parroting the NWS RAH 6am briefing they released. 

2 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

pretty good shift west this run from 00z and 06z. mixing issues at the coast but inland should have some big totals. hope we can keep shifting the precip west thru the next 30hrs or so.

refcmp_ptype.us_ma.png

Better hope not too much further west. Already rain showing up at RDU right there. 

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Cold,

I am absolutely amazed at the non existent western shield of qpf. That storm is textbook wrt the upper level look at 500.

Yeah, I don't get it either.  It's a shame, really.  We can just hope it comes around, I guess.  It must see something that is interrupting the moisture transport.

Archived