Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

Just now, downeastnc said:

I would feel better about the hi res 10-15" outputs if the globals where more than 2-4"...that's a large difference in the two camps.....MHX calling for 3-4" for MBY so that's pretty good I will take that all day.

It's a war between the short and long range models. We should be putting more weight now on the short range, but I know what you mean.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6z 12km NAM and 6z GFM have the SLP almost in the same spot but GFS has minimal precip inland.  12km is stronger but 986 on the GFS is fairly stout and should get more then 0.1" to PGV.

If the NAM is correct with that track and strength then PGV to 95 look like the sweet spot.  

namconus_mslpaNorm_us_41.png

gfs_mslpaNorm_us_9.png

gfs_apcpn_seus_13.png

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

The 6z 12km NAM and 6z GFM have the SLP almost in the same spot but GFS has minimal precip inland.  12km is stronger but 986 on the GFS is fairly stout and should get more then 0.1" to PGV.

If the NAM is correct with that track and strength then PGV to 95 look like the sweet spot.  

namconus_mslpaNorm_us_41.png

gfs_mslpaNorm_us_9.png

gfs_apcpn_seus_13.png

Any other storm and I feel like us central NC folks would be jumping for joy at that low position off Cape Hatteras. There isn’t much model support for it, but I still have a hunch the globals are missing something. It certainly wouldn’t be unprecedented (just have to think back to December). 

Just now, ajr said:

Any other storm and I feel like us central NC folks would be jumping for joy at that low position off Cape Hatteras. There isn’t much model support for it, but I still have a hunch the globals are missing something. It certainly wouldn’t be unprecedented (just have to think back to December). 

The 12km NAM looks really good for SLP track, just a hair east for what we ideally would like, the 3km is near perfect track but it deepens it to 952.  If the 12km NAM is correct wouldn't be surprised to get a little snow.  I still don't know why the GFS is so dry, the air is really dry so I get it, and we don't have a gulf feed to moisten but these are really big/strong lows.

Just now, CaryWx said:

6z GFS ensembles moved LP west (from 0z) but precip field contracted or didn't change on western cutoff.  Not sure how that happens.

I know...I don't get it at all.  I am sure it's correct, we usually scratch our heads and then after we realize it was right.  Keep coming back to Dec 2004...this was the SLP track during that event.  Of course this one originated deep from the gulf but SLP track looks close to what the models are printing out...except this one will be deepening rapidly.

2004_12_26.gif

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

6z GFS ensembles moved LP west (from 0z) but precip field contracted or didn't change on western cutoff.  Not sure how that happens.

How good are some of these models at figuring out how much a storm can overcome very dry air?  Is that why we are seeing the differences in westward extent of the precip regardless of SLP location?

Just now, CaryWx said:

The globals can pick up the broader dynamics like the NS press I suspect and that can compress the western edge like a brick wall is all i can think of.

Well starting with today's 12z runs the meso's should really be leading this, it's so complicated.  The models are not phasing with that trailing wave but have more separation, which is good if we can keep the first h5 low strong.  Nice trend on the NAM...PV low over Canada is pointing more SW (slower kicker) and southern vort isn't bad.  We need close to some miracle changes to get anything over a dusting though.

LdQ01pp.gif 

So when you look at Globals vs meso models the similarities are there. The ONLY major difference between the groups is how much precip is inland... 

so so in reality the Globals are backing the high res they just don’t see the precip.  We are definitely in Meso model range. Guys I think this might be a big one..

7 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

So when you look at Globals vs meso models the similarities are there. The ONLY major difference between the groups is how much precip is inland... 

so so in reality the Globals are backing the high res they just don’t see the precip.  We are definitely in Meso model range. Guys I think this might be a big one..

You PGV guys, I would be surprised if this isn't a big winter storm for you.  NAM has you guys tainting with sleet but still, would love to trade places with you guys.

http://68.226.77.253/text/MESOSFC/NAM_Kpgv.txt

9 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

That's what I'm hoping. For us Central NC folks to get 2-3", we need you to get 10". So I'm really pulling for you to score big.  

Just now, packbacker said:

Only pause I have is the EPS qpf mean is pathetic for eastern NC.   That's usually very reliable inside 60 hours.  It's not even close to getting that 0.5" line to PGV.

Yeah the globals are all pathetic with QPF and this could easily bust and end up a 1-3" event here.....or the hi res could be right and we get a foot.....pretty much the typical winter storm dilemma we have here....we all know which one of those two scenarios tends to win out.

6 minutes ago, packbacker said:

If the low forms a big cut off over SC and the kicker trough hangs back then yeah....but nothing is showing that.   It's hard not to stare at the pic below and dream.

012500.png

Hard to look at and realize this thing manages to give nothing to anyone, except the coastal people. What a text book setup that will be shunted.

:D  :lol:  :D 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Charleston SC
333 AM EST Tue Jan 2 2018

SCZ048-049-051-021645-
/O.NEW.KCHS.WS.A.0001.180103T1100Z-180104T0500Z/
/O.CON.KCHS.WC.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-180102T1500Z/
Beaufort-Coastal Colleton-Coastal Jasper-
Including the cities of Beaufort, Hilton Head Island,
and Edisto Beach
333 AM EST Tue Jan 2 2018

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS
MORNING...
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Very cold wind chills this morning. Expect wind chills to
  range from 15 above zero to 5 above zero. Snow, sleet, and
  freezing rain possible. Plan on difficult travel conditions,
  including during the morning and evening commutes on Wednesday.
  Total snow and sleet accumulations of up to two inches are
  possible.

* WHERE...Beaufort, Coastal Colleton and Coastal Jasper Counties.

* WHEN...For the Wind Chill Advisory, until 10 AM EST this
  morning. For the Winter Storm Watch, from Wednesday morning
  through Wednesday evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The cold wind chills will cause frostbite
  in as little as 30 minutes to exposed skin. Significant
  reductions in visibility are possible during winter
  precipitation Wednesday through Wednesday evening.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Wind Chill Advisory means that cold air and the wind will
combine to create low wind chills. Frost bite and hypothermia can
occur if precautions are not taken. Make sure you wear a hat and
gloves.

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant
snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue
to monitor the latest forecasts.

44 minutes ago, ajr said:

Mhx doesn' even mention any hi res outputs in their overnight afd. They talk about the agreement of the globals and then give us a general 1-4 event. So close to something special but it seems the hi res models are on their own.

Archived